Making a piano midi piece sound good

PJ_

Hello,

I've composed a simple piano piece in Logic Pro X (midi) but I'm not happy with the piano sound. I was wondering if somebody could help me or advice what to do. Ideally, I'm looking for somebody that would make it sound like a final piano piece that is kind of release ready. It contains only 1 piano track. I'm happy to pay a reasonable price (this is just my hobby). I have no idea how much work is involved to make it sound professional

If somebody could help or point me in the right direction it would be great.

Thanks,
PJ

Hi PJ,

Apart from buying a good virtual instrument. I guess the way to make a standard MIDI piano sound pop ready is by:
- Heavy wide compression
- EQ
- By playing with the velocity and every note so that it feels like a real person playing it rather than a computer simulation. By really going into detail with each note, you can replicate how a pianist would express each note of a phrase.

May take a bit of practice and of course patient to get that real genuine piano sound

Hope this helps!

Hi PJ,

Apart from buying a good virtual instrument. I guess the way to make a standard MIDI piano sound pop ready is by:
- Heavy wide compression
- EQ
- By playing with the velocity and every note so that it feels like a real person playing it rather than a computer simulation. By really going into detail with each note, you can replicate how a pianist would express each note of a phrase.

May take a bit of practice and of course patient to get that real genuine piano sound

Hope this helps!

It helps a lot but I can't do it myself and I'd like to collaborate with somebody ideally. If somebody would like to help please let me know.

Thanks,
PJ

Are you a player? If so take lessons and practice, if not, find someone who plays.

Last edited:
As told before eq and compression is really important. There are a lot of articles in the net for each music instrument's best adjustments for those.
Also you could use some pedal expression and surely add some room reverbs... It is important to add place in your music. For further help do no hesitate to contact me.

Last edited:
I'd have to actually hear the passage to know what advice to give... All to often, the patch itself is more bother some to fix vs just changing the patch itself. Nonetheless, it could be far more than simple eq or compression...it could be your legato and staccato phrasing of the passage/part...again, I'd have to hear the passage.

Back