Making the lowpass filter sound unique, giving it more of an underwater feel

Logos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGD4Zvj_40

So this guy low passed the song in the background of this beat, what else did he do? It sounds very dreamlike and underwater. What I am most interested in is how it has so much presence when it is so heavily filtered, whats the key to achieving this?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think it's very heavily lowpassed. There is of course a lowpass, but it's only taking away the very high end. Then he probably have continued working using EQ to try mimic the tone that you resemble as an underwater sound. Then add a bunch of small to medium room reverb, and it pretty much sounds like listening to the radio while below the water on the bathhouse.

Yeah. It sounds like a lot of the low-end is also EQ'd out, so it's almost like bandpassed. The reverb contributes quite a bit to the underwatery tone.

If you want a kinda underwater fel add some of the bbass back in since it has a slight bandpassed sound right now, then if your using pro tools, there are a few settings in one of the EQ's that kinda have a muffled, in the club type of fel bbut somewhere along there I was able to mess with one of those presets and kinda come up with the ffect that Drake would have on some parts of his songs. I know what you mean, I would just have to se how I did it and when I do I will come back and jot it down for ya.

Definitely a low-pass, definitely some verb. I feel like I hear some delay in there. And I'm not sure what gives it that pitch-altering sound like when water is rushing past your ears. Sometimes the pitch freaks out when I change presets in H-Delay and especially in Primal Tap. Maybe some carefully scripted automation in one of these plugins or an equivalent adds to the vibe?

If there's more, I don't know what it is. Trouble is, we don't know what the original pad and vocal sample sounded like before processing. They could have been distressed already.

Diggy, if you've done it and you're willing to share, please refer to your session to see how you achieved this.

what means H delay and what means primal tap?
Has anyone a recommendation of which DAW to buy? Is FLStudio 12 good to start?

When you use EQ to cut away the high frequencies, you are still letting the low frequencies pass through the EQ. That is why they call it a lowpass. For example, you can lowpass your piano to make it sound more vintage and warm by rolling off all frequencies over 2k with an EQ.

A highpass is the opposite: cut the lows with an EQ while allowing the highs to pass through.

A bandpass is when you use both a highpass and a lowpass, allowing only a certain frequency range through.

H-Delay is the name of a delay plugin made by Waves. Primal Tap is a bizarre delay plugin made by SoundToys.

You should do your own research for which DAW you want.

From what I've heard, FL Studio is a good beginner's choice if the music is all electronic without any audio tracks (like vocals, you playing guitar, etc.). Ableton is still good with electronic music, but better at handling audio tracks. Pro Tools is better still at audio tracks, but less good at electronic production. Reaper is a cheaper alternative to Pro Tools. Logic is somewhere in the middle, like Ableton, and is a good choice for Mac users.

Any DAW will do the job, but some just make things easier than others. Choose a DAW based on what you want to do.

Back