Making Beats Louder

do you sell your beats online? do you provide both "straight" and mastered versions of the beats? Other than that, artists who have issues with the mix or master, they will get the trackouts or they will ask for it. That's how it works. unless your an in-house producer for someone. Then Thats a totally different story.

^^^No, that's how it works in a perfect world. Artist will get the audio clip they get, record over it, and put out a crappy product if that's what the clip provides 9/10.

I'm talking everyone from MC Git Bizy who's only famous in his mama's basement to Lil Wayne.

So your saying the blame is on the producer? I think that this is clearly getting off topic..
To answer the original question, you can either make your beat louder by providing a loud mix.. or
it can be raised through mastering.. which in the process of mastering (the instrumental) will
boost the volume somewhat.
That's My opinion.

As far as I know, Producers who sell their beats online, sell either the mastered beat, or the unmastered beat. All depends on the preference of the producer. If the artist has problems, they can contact the producer (which they do) asking for project files, or asking for changes to be made..

This is the Nature of the Business.. Hope this answers the initial question.

Not saying the blame is on the producer. That would be like blaming the guy who made the bullet(not even the gun)when a shooting occurs. But you can either make simple bullets or hollow points that can pierce armor. You choice will effect a chain of events after it is made. As will choices of everyone else involved.

All I'm saying is you should prepare your audio for optimal quality in a recording environment...and i'm no saint, I've sent off beats that were overcompressed mp3s and never heard back from guys until songs were completed and said "damn, why didn't I send that mixed to record over!"

A proper mixdown is the only way you are going to get a loud master. You can use either a Maximizer or a Brickwall Limiter to get the most out of it. I for myself don't like maximizers tho as you don't know what they are doing exactly. A bl is sorta more controllable

Learn to mix properly and all your sounds will be noticed and sound louder and cleaner

@deranged: So I use Ozone on my beats, I'm not supposed to?

For showcasing purposes, there's no problem with leveling your tracks to relate in loudness to other tracks being played around them. I do it myself.

But you should absolutely not have a brickwall limiter like the one ozone provides on a track you're using to record vocals and possibly add other instruments over.

You should learn to mix. And when you're mixing, DON'T turn up the volume knob on your computer. You should almost always be mixing at low volumes. It's much easier to get an accurate representation of the mix at low volumes. You're tricking yourself that the mix is better when you listen to it at high volumes. You're also probably going to damage your ears if you're always listening at high volumes too.

I appreciate all the help guys! Thanks.
May I ask if you could view my latest beat too and pass on some advice of what you do and don't like? -

Yes it is, I am guessing I should still go a lot easy on the compression. So on average, how many compressors should I add in one project?

You should add none until it helps your mix. Compressors aren't mandatory especially when using samples which are already processed. Over compression is the modern pitfall of amateur productions.

Thanks, Ok. Will keep that in mind. Also, it may be off topic but what do you think of the beat in general too like the melodies and style?

Some tips for making louder beats, search youtube --> Logic Pro - K-Metering Mixing Tips & Monitor Calibration

Didn't watch it very focused yet, but though he mainly speaks it trough Logic(DAW), i think the same things apply commonly and can't all be red from some program manuals. Don't mind about the hip camera work or the background music like some of the vain tube-users, he speaks well.

Back