Maintaining kick headroom 101

Ðësantis

As you know, the kick is a very important element and in progressive house music needs to thump pretty loud. I myself mix while I produce so I have my kick sounding exactly the way I want it with my other instruments but the one issue I am having is that it's still -4.5 db. Meaning it is coming in a little too hot compared to my other instruments that are between -6.5-9 db. I am still new at this so is this where I would add something like distortion to my kick (get the kick louder but saving 1.5 db of headroom? Or am I just way to obsessed with these numbers?

As you know, the kick is a very important element and in progressive house music needs to thump pretty loud. I myself mix while I produce so I have my kick sounding exactly the way I want it with my other instruments but the one issue I am having is that it's still -4.5 db. Meaning it is coming in a little too hot compared to my other instruments that are between -6.5-9 db. I am still new at this so is this where I would add something like distortion to my kick (get the kick louder but saving 1.5 db of headroom? Or am I just way to obsessed with these numbers?

Yes and no. The specific db reading doesn't matter that much, but it has some importance as far as headroom and comparison to the levels of the rest of your track. Distortion can help achieve a louder kick without jacking up the level. Simple compression might be a better solution (or something to use in addition to distortion). Compression can basically make the loud things quiet and the quiet things loud (this is a watered down explanation). If used properly, you can make a kick louder while having the same peak level.

I have a video tutorial that I'm currently working on that demonstrates this. I can post it here or send a link to you when its finished.

The dB numbers don't mean much really, the only thing you should watch out for is a kick's relative dB level to everything else.

Tbh, the kick doesn't need to be the loudest thing in a mix. I sometimes have my plucks louder, my snares louder, etc. And you can still have a super strong kick without it being the loudest thing.

I strip a lot of energy from the mids of my kicks, as well as the highs. But don't lowpass everything away because you still want it to have a bit of a click and hit. I make prog house as well and I have my kick and bass sit around the same levels.

If you need it to be louder, but it's hitting too hard, distort it a touch and then pull the volume down. You'll create more midharmonic craziness that'll add more audible weight to the kick. Don't go too far though, cuz you still want the low end of it to be semi clean.

-4.5 dBFS is quite hot, and so is -6.5-9 dBFS.
Even though it sonically doesn't matter what dB you're peaking at in the digital domain as long as it's below 0 (if you're in 32-bit you can even peak above 0), it sure matters workflow-wise.
I'd say pull down your faders and you'll instantly see your workflow improve. Again, no given dB level, but I often see that experienced producers let the loudest element peak at -10-12 dBFS.
I even have my own template where I've pulled down all mixerchannels (excluding submixes and such) a bit extra to get plenty of headroom, it just makes everything easier as you barely have to worry about the levels compared to before.

Yes and no. The specific db reading doesn't matter that much, but it has some importance as far as headroom and comparison to the levels of the rest of your track. Distortion can help achieve a louder kick without jacking up the level. Simple compression might be a better solution (or something to use in addition to distortion). Compression can basically make the loud things quiet and the quiet things loud (this is a watered down explanation). If used properly, you can make a kick louder while having the same peak level.

I have a video tutorial that I'm currently working on that demonstrates this. I can post it here or send a link to you when its finished.

Thanks

Back