Macbook Pro 8gb 2.4 i7 vs Macbook Pro 16gb 2.7 i7? Buying today!

masstsnk

Hey everyone,

I've been searching for hours on this forum and on others and can't quite find the right answer:

I'm going to buy a MBP today and not sure whether to get the 2.4ghz with 8gb or the 2.7ghz with 16gb. The reason that it's a choice between these two is that they'll arrive to the address I am at I'm Australia before my flight back to London (customisations take a week longer).

I produce with a lot of tracks and will probably be using Razor and Massive lots and in general lots of instruments (think like using 50-80 tracks with plugins in them).

I've been reading online that 8gb is fine and 16gb makes a minimal difference. And same with the 2.4 i7 over the new MacBook Air with the Haswell i5 (I'd consider this and save money if this is pretty much on the same performance level?) But I'm wondering if people are saying this for those who are only recording audio and some midi? When we're getting to production like Skrillex, do I need 16gb and 2.7 i7 or will a new Macbook Air be enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I will be buying in about 3 hours!

Thank you

^^^What DAW software are you using? In your situation, depending on factors with your software of choice, There can be a huge difference in these two products.

I'd honestly say, go with the 2.4ghz/8gb and just add ram if you feel it's inadequate. Both are i7s that's overkill for music in itself. It should be able to cover your needs just as efficiently as the 2.7/16, but handling 64 bit progams can benefit from being upgraded to 16gb of RAM. So if you're not gonna feel like waiting for more ram and don't wanna install it(if you later feel you need it which I doubt you would), you may as well just buy the 2.7/16 and be done with it.

Back