Is the Mac vs PC Debate Even Relavent Anymore?

I dont know why you think im more than one guy who was arguing with u about cpu's. Im on this forum to boost my online presence so it would be silly to pretend im some one else.

The main concern I had was the ratio of 10 mins vs 8 mins which can clearly point someone in the wrong direction - if you took it as a personal attack, I wont blame you.

When did I say you were "more than 1 guy?"

I think we're losing each other in communication some how. I'll chuck it up to that. But no hard feelings, it's just the net. :cheers:

Edit: if you're talking about this...

"You sound like the guys who were aguing 2ghz dual cores with me at a $1200 chip price point. I can get a quad core for a 6th of that now...so I must've had a pretty good idea they were overpriced?"

That's my fault for not properly elaborating, I was saying this debate made me reminisce(sp) to debates I had like 8 years back with guys arguing dual cores were "worth it". To some, they were. To me...a P4 was still better than an MPC and triton rack alone. Years later, when the price is fitting on things, that's when I pick them up. That's all I was saying. But I completely boched that statement and could've gave the wrong impression. My bad for that. :cheers:

Last edited:
peter quistgard is a guy who let a friend use his name and serial to register an otherwise illegal copy of CEP, only to find it was posted all over the net and every tom, dick and harriet was using it to register their illegal copy too. From all the noise (on the net) surrounding his action, it seems that he was pursued through the courts as well.

As for the other, I wouldn't touch an ssd with a barge pole - speed of access is not going to improve when your audio is still going to a HDD via sata, esata or usb 3.0 or firewire - pricepoint is a killer for me - multiple 1TB drives internally as well as multiple 1TB drives in network accessible storage is what I have and I have no issues with speed of access (100Mbit/s is my network speed and i am regularly getting speeds in tmid 50Mbits/s for file transfers - I'm still using 32 bit xp, but not for very much longer - I want Reason 7 and for that I need 64bit W7 or W8)

My computer was built specifically for pro tools...ten years ago. It's an amd 1700+, windows xp and the system was built to be overclocked but I never overclocked. I haven't had any problems with the computer, been running pro tools 6.1, bf plugs, some urs stuff and waves. I haven't made the jump to any other version, even though I have other versions (7, 8 and 9), because I kept getting work and didn't want to upgrade while I was working on other peoples music. I've worked on every version since 6.1 so there is no learning curve involved for me. I've used pt on mac and pc and the only difference I ran across were shortcuts and some plugins are exclusive to mac while others are exclusive to pc.

Again, I've been running the same old ass computer for ten years now. The music on my reverbnation link in my sig was tracked with that computer. Same with the rough mixes on each beat. It all comes down to workflow and what you're most comfortable with IMHO.

Last edited:
peter quistgard is a guy who let a friend use his name and serial to register an otherwise illegal copy of CEP, only to find it was posted all over the net and every tom, dick and harriet was using it to register their illegal copy too. From all the noise (on the net) surrounding his action, it seems that he was pursued through the courts as well.
oh...wow. He got a pretty bad deal.

Another here who is staying clear of SSD's .
Price is too high , still questions of their reliability ...even if it is a non fatal error , you still loose data .

agreed - disk errors with ssd are never going to be recoverable errors - a dead sector is a dead sector no matter where you are but a dead sector in the mft in ssd seems to mean the ssd is dead as well, unlike a hdd

Sorry to add fuel to this fire however if you are afraid of unrecoverable sectors could that possibly mean your not backing up enough? SSDs are generally smaller in terms of what people can afford which means you can do full image backups quite easily - this means in the unlikely event of a disaster youll be up and running again much quicker. Regardless of what platform you use, what type of hardware you use - there will always be failures - Sectors are not always recoverable - its not a good situation to be in - back it up you dont want to lose your project files ! samples etc

No hardware provider guarantees the safety of your data.

I think the Mac Vs PC debate is dependent upon the situation and as such you can't compare an iMac running a native version of Pro Tools with a Mac Pro hosting a proper Pro Tools hardware rig as though the badge on the box makes all versions equal, which is something Mac fans tend to do when proposing that any Mac is a one size fits all ideal music computer when the reality is that a PC tower system running native software is closer to the capabilities of the Mac and Pro Tools HD combo found in pro studios, ie, the halo effect attributed to Apple is actually due to the "external processing" hardware made by Digidesign/Avid and not down to native processing.

Most dual platform native DAWs perform better running under Windows in benchmark tests compared to OSX, but as I said it all depends on the situation, so if you don't need to run the extra plugins afforded under Windows you might as well pay extra for a Mac if that's what you want to use.

The Mac's charger design is still hands down one of the the best features of the Macbook and is exclusive to Mac laptops.

The Mac's charger design is still hands down one of the the best features of the Macbook and is exclusive to Mac laptops.

It ought to be after the class action over the design flaws.

---------- Post added 06-13-2013 at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-08-2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

Now that Apple's new Mac Pro has abandoned internal expansion in favor of external expansion only time will tell if pros switch over to the new Mac Pro or jump ship.

It's like they are acknowledging how awesome PCIe is by using it for storage but at the same time they are forcing people to use their middleman ThunderBolt 2 protocol rather than allowing direct access to the PCIe bus via a PCIe slot.

Back