Looking for a mentor

katerkotze

Hello folks :)

I am a 22yo german guy and for a few months I have been producing stuff in Reason Essentials

While not having specific troubles in handling the DAW itself, sometimes I would appreciate to have someone to ask a few questions or get a quick feedback from somebody being more experienced than me

In order to fulfill this desire of mine I hereby ask for a mentor to add me in WhatsApp or Facebook willing to do the stuff mentioned above

My_Mentor.jpg

My favorite producers are Suff Daddy, The Alchemist, 9th Wonder and Dr. Dre

This is something I put together a few weeks ago View attachment mamanionmamand.mp3

Thank you very much

Karsten

Can I simultaneously submit myself as a mentor and a mentee?

I'm reasonably experienced with engineering and would be happy to coach others as they're interested.

I probably couldn't offer much critiquing song arrangement for a genre I don't listen to. But I'm not unwilling.

I'm personally looking for coaching on how to develop my voice in lyric writing, and how to be a producer who creates instead of a producer who wonders where his time went week after week.

I probably couldn't offer much critiquing song arrangement for a genre I don't listen to. But I'm not unwilling.

A different experience is always great. I do different things but if you have an engineering background I wouldn't mind getting ideas and pointers here and there from someone seasoned.

I'm personally looking for coaching on how to develop my voice in lyric writing, and how to be a producer who creates instead of a producer who wonders where his time went week after week.

If I were to ask you what kind of producer you are, what would that be?

An example for arrangement: I find it really irritating when I hear a super harsh, distorted hi-hat sample rapid-firing throughout a beat. But I'm learning that's very popular in some sub-genres? Good for the people who make it. But if someone asked me for critiques, I'd probably tell them to remove it. :cool:

I'd be very happy to coach on engineering. That's what I went to school for. And I have more experience engineering than song creating. Also, I hang out with a bunch of old farts that just sit around listening to music on high end systems they built. So I have a pretty good ear for how things are supposed to sound. And have built a pretty good system of my own.

My genre, Kalm, is a tricky question. I aim to be a solo artist (though willing to collaborate) who writes, performs, records, and engineers his own stuff. I plan to use YouTube to discover and grow a fanbase, and I plan to make the videos interesting by showing videos of the song creation, like Pomplamoose and Alex Goot. I haven't yet zeroed in on what sound will be my sound. SOHN is the artist probably closest to where I think I'll be heading?

I'm studying up on how to be a marketing wizard to earn popularity. I figure with smart and dedicated marketing, and by leveraging Patreon, maybe I can earn a pauper's living within 6-12 months, and a decent living within 12-24 months. I'm quitting my job and downsizing homes to make this happen. I expect to be free to work on music full-time starting approximately in May.

Though I don't want to make EDM, I find it super helpful to listen to the EDM Producer's Podcast. They're all solo or duo acts who started from nothing making music on their computers with only their imagination. They talk about what software they use, how they market themselves, and how they got where they are.

Most of the successful ones say they had a great mentor.

And many also say they built a great network of equals to check in with regularly. That the peer pressure pushes them to deliver. And that it really helps having friends who understand what it's like to make a living off of creating art: how to channel creativity, how to fight procrastination, how to believe in yourself until others begin to, etc. One said that if all he had were friends working corporate jobs, he never would have made it. He needed the support of people facing the same challenges.

I already know my craft will develop more from practicing than reading forum tips. And I already know I need to make serious time for music if I want it to be my livelihood. I'm already taking the steps to make this happen.

I joined this forum specifically to find a mentor and/or to develop a network of friends for mutual support and/or to mentor someone myself.

Back