Looking For Cheap, But Good Quality Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

zZzwalkr

So, I've been looking into making my own home studio like everyone else out there. And I was wondering if anyone knows of any good quality, but relatively cheap microphones for recording vocals. My ideal price range is from $70-150. Also audio interfaces and things like that would be nice to know about too.
Thanks.

In that price range I would recommend looking into Audio Technical products, specifically at 2020, which I believe is about $99.00. I used one years ago and it was a good starter mic that delivers good quality recordings. Also, I think they have either revamped that mic or released another similar one that Dave Pensado reviewed favorably.

Those will be condenser mics that require phantom power, but don't discount a simple sm-57 by shure, used on countless records. Granted without a dedicated preamp I'm not sure how much clean gain your interface can deliver, so consider that as well.

As as for audio interfaces... There's so many and I'm not sure your price range, how many I/O you need, portability concerns, OS, etc... So it's hard to give advice. But apogee duet is popular for amateurs and pros, super portable with clean gain.

Good luck!

Those will be condenser mics that require phantom power, but don't discount a simple sm-57 by shure, used on countless records. Granted without a dedicated preamp I'm not sure how much clean gain your interface can deliver, so consider that as well.

Yeah, the SM57 is an industry-standard microphone that can sound good on vocals and will always be useful for specific purposes,
even if you upgrade to a $500+ microphone later on.

If you just want a cheap condenser that doesn't sound too bad for the price, the MXL 990 comes fairly well-recommended in the budget bracket.
I have one that I use for voiceover work for video reviews, etc.
Works well for me since I've decided not to record local artists these days.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I see a bunch of suggestions for the SM57, but if you're only doing vocals I think the SM58 would be better since it's the essentially same mic but with a better pop filter. I use a SM58 beta in the studio quite a bit, even over more expensive mics depending on the situation.

I think SE Electronics do some pretty good mic's for cheap, I have an MXL V67Gs, great look too it (lame I know), however delivers quite a nice sound for what it is, it's maybe a tad too bright but, it's certainly good enough to do a competent job on with adequate mixing skills and what not.

In that price range I would recommend looking into Audio Technical products, specifically at 2020, which I believe is about $99.00. I used one years ago and it was a good starter mic that delivers good quality recordings. Also, I think they have either revamped that mic or released another similar one that Dave Pensado reviewed favorably.

As as for audio interfaces... There's so many and I'm not sure your price range, how many I/O you need, portability concerns, OS, etc... So it's hard to give advice. But apogee duet is popular for amateurs and pros, super portable with clean gain.

Good luck!

Yeah, the SM57 is an industry-standard microphone that can sound good on vocals and will always be useful for specific purposes,
even if you upgrade to a $500+ microphone later on.

If you just want a cheap condenser that doesn't sound too bad for the price, the MXL 990 comes fairly well-recommended in the budget bracket.
I have one that I use for voiceover work for video reviews, etc.
Works well for me since I've decided not to record local artists these days.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I see a bunch of suggestions for the SM57, but if you're only doing vocals I think the SM58 would be better since it's the essentially same mic but with a better pop filter. I use a SM58 beta in the studio quite a bit, even over more expensive mics depending on the situation.

What cannibal said. The shure 57 isn't for vocals whatsoever. The shure 57 = The Shure 58 w/o a pop filter. If you use the 57 without a pop filter for too long eventually youre gonna wreck it. The only difference between the two is the removable pop filter that makes it look like that more generic "rock" microphone.

Last edited:
I'm going to recommend the Focusrite Scarlett recording bundle.

A 2i2 audio interface, mic & headphones... Gets you started for £200 here in the UK and you can then upgrade as you need too.

i assume you have a computer/laptop but you'll still need to budget for a DAW... 'Reaper' is your cost effective solution here...

mxl was my 1st mic there like 70-100 good nice condenser mic with good vocal presence id never had a problem other then not buying the shock mount for it other then that its a beast ..

Get a used Unidyne B instead of a 57, if you a have an audio interface that has a pre capable of driving +50-55dB gain. AT2020 is a good option that has been mentioned here. Also, try finding a used MXL modded by Mogami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back