Linking up Synths

wisebaxter442

Hi there, I'm quite new to doing things outside of the box and was wondering how I link synths up together and how many inputs I'll need etc. I have a scarlett Focusrite 2i2, a Korg Monotron, a Microbrute, a Mininova and the Volca keys, bass and beats. When I say 'link up together' I know this sounds pretty vague. Let me explain. For example I'd like to be running the mircrobrute through the Monotron to utilise the Monotrons delay, have the vocla beats synched in with each other, or with the Microbrute. Which leads need to go where and will each synth still need it's own input on my interface/mixer? This is another area I'm having trouble with, knowing whether I should get a mixer or not or maybe even upgrade my interface. I'm happy to record each synth separately, one at a time to their own individual track but I'm assuming I'd still need more inputs than than the 2i2 offers me if I want to start chaining my synths together like this? Will each synth in the chain need a separate input on my mixer/interface? Someone else said that mixers like Behringers only record to one stereo track at a time. Would this effect my chaining setup? Would I need a mixer that outputs to more than just one stereo track? Lastly, do I need midi ins/outs on my interface/mixer to chain like this as my 2i2 doesn't have any, thanks

Last edited:
this will take a bit of time to do out a patching layout for you

I am not entirely certain that you could link your other synths to the delay in the monotron

as for an interface/mixer you will need to upgrade to at least an 8 in/out interface or more likely a 16 in/out interface so that you have spare inputs for later

Last edited:
So you would recommend an interface over a mixer? Can I ask why this is please? Has it got something to do with most mixers only outputting one stereo track? Thanks

Last edited:
something like this Mackie Onyx 1640i Demo | Sweetwater.com will support what you want to do but at $1440 may be outside your price range - there are others that are more expensive

Analog Mixers | Sweetwater.com (my preferred choice is the 32 channel fw when I decide to add another console to my gear)

As for interface over mixer, choice more than anything - if you are mixing in the box (itb) then having an external mixer may or may not work within your work-flow - better to use the interface to bring everything in and then adjust eq and other factors once recorded within your daw - it is a work-flow thing as much as it is a quality thing - at $1440 the quality of the individual channel strips are not going to be much (it comes out at less than $66 per channel strip, if you include the 4 subs and the master groups)compare that to a single channel strip module made by ssl ($900-$1200) and you can start to get an idea of the difference in quality the mixer path is taking you.

an interface with similar inputs is likely to cost in the same ballpark as a mixer but unit cost per channel is likely to go up - see the follwoing and do the math

FireWire Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

https://www.sweetwater.com/c703--PCI_Audio_Interfaces/high2low/all

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Thunderbolt_Audio_Interfaces/high2low/all

Many thanks for all that info. I have to say that the units you've mentioned are way over my current budget. Also, I've been told that the signal quality on most line-ins is pretty standard on most interfaces/mixers, with slight variations. Of course the pre amps will differ and the on board effects, but if all I'm interested in is increasing my number of inputs, then won't a cheaper unit do? As I said before, I'm only really fussed about it because I want to sync my synths up together. It seems a little pointless to have the Volca series for example, and not have them working in tandem.

yeah, I understand what you want to do but a mixer is not the way to make it happen if your budget is so low

a straight forward upgrade on your interface to the amount of inputs you need - I'm guessing 12 minimum (to allow for stereo inputs from each module/keyboard) which means going for a 16 input interface

so you might consider 16 x 8 USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com however it only offers 8 line inputs (it also has 8 mic inputs) when you need 12 - you could use teh mic inputs but you would overload them if you decide to run your gear at anything like Nominal operating level

That Tascam looks pretty nice and more within my price range. Seems a bit of a shame to waste all those mic pres though as I'll only be using one mic at a time for quite a while just for vocals. 8 inputs would suit me nicely though. I might have a look to see if there's anything even cheaper with just 6-8 inputs for now. Maybe A Focusrite 6i6. Shame I can't get a mixer with about 6 channel strips for a reasonable price as I'd love to have a physical mixer. I take it something like this would act as an interface and be connected via USB. Is this classed as a hybrid? Having the best of both worlds sounds cool. Thanks for your help

Back