Limiter on the master track???

That's a matter of taste. I produce and mix without a limiter on the master most of the time. This forces me to keep my levels at a reasonable level and I don't hear the mix through the sound of the limiter.

For bouncing demo versions I put a limiter in the master but I only limit by 1 or 2 dB.

Try the Waves Adaptive Limiter on your master bus with some compression beforehand, works really well! But like the other guy said, it's a matter of taste/opinion. Use the best tool you have - your ears :)

Audioroom

Like said by others in this Thread "thats a matter of taste". I always keep a lot of headroom on my mixes and throw a L2 on the master bus when I'm almost finished. But I always print a version without L2 as well to send the mastering engineer so he can choose.

Peace

Shroom
BeatPlugBlog.com
ProducedByShroom.com

Always depends on the destination for me. The final mix of a track, no. To a client, most likely. Pre-Mastering, nada. It depends what I'll eventually do for the track

It's essentially standard, but it is an objective decision. Standard limiters can ruin a mix. Most probably do. If you learn how limiters work and how most professionals use them, you can almost always use it to improve your final mix. Even a tiny but of limiting goes a long way.

It's essentially standard, but it is an objective decision. Standard limiters can ruin a mix. Most probably do. If you learn how limiters work and how most professionals use them, you can almost always use it to improve your final mix. Even a tiny but of limiting goes a long way.

Can't agree more! But in modern music like EDM, hiphop and modern melodic death metal etc it's a necessity :D

Back