Layering Vocal Tracks

Wolfe_Lawton

Aye guys, might be a dumb question, but approximetly how many vocal tracks do you guys have layered over a track? I know theres at least usually 2, the main vox and the ad libs, but i've heard of people layering additonal tracks on top of the main vox for a fuller sound. Anyone have any insight on this?

Some people will layer 4 tracks to cover left and right pan (with a very low volume level obvioulsy) voice doubled on the center pan where the main action sounds, that makes it 4, you could also add another layer with a subtle distortion or an octave higher or whispering or whatever you'd like!

It defintely changes depending on what kind of music you do, if you want the vocals to be up-front or not, etc...

Have fun Layering and remember there's no limit as long as you put a good volume balance and respect each tracks frequencies :)

The key is to do what sounds best for the particular project you're working on. Vocal layering is done for many reasons, and it's never done because so & so is doing it. Most of the time it's used to hide flaws.

Sometimes it can be used to get a stereo effect (wide vocals, guitars etc.), other times it's to get a choir effect by recording the same vocal part with a tenor voice, soprano and then final one maybe use alto. One vocalist can sound like a choir, but this will require maybe 2/3 soprano vocals, 2/3 bass etc.

And taste does play a role as well. So my advise would be focus on what will work best for a particular project. If something needs layering, you'll know, trust me on that, you'll know. Think of layering as a solution to fix certain problems instead of a compulsory technique.

Always have the end goal in mind coz layering can make mixing a song very hard.

Hope that helps :)

The key is to do what sounds best for the particular project you're working on. Vocal layering is done for many reasons, and it's never done because so & so is doing it. Most of the time it's used to hide flaws.

Sometimes it can be used to get a stereo effect (wide vocals, guitars etc.), other times it's to get a choir effect by recording the same vocal part with a tenor voice, soprano and then final one maybe use alto. One vocalist can sound like a choir, but this will require maybe 2/3 soprano vocals, 2/3 bass etc.

And taste does play a role as well. So my advise would be focus on what will work best for a particular project. If something needs layering, you'll know, trust me on that, you'll know. Think of layering as a solution to fix certain problems instead of a compulsory technique.

Always have the end goal in mind coz layering can make mixing a song very hard.

Hope that helps :)

I completely agree with this! The fewer vocal tracks the easier to mix... Layered vocals can sound so beautiful if done right though, I think the max I've put in any song has been 5 consisting of a lead vocal, two additional duplicate takes panned left and right (for certain parts of the song to thicken it) and then two tracks of backing vocals panned L/R. It sounds great but only for some songs where it's needed, it can just distract someties

Aye guys, might be a dumb question, but approximetly how many vocal tracks do you guys have layered over a track? I know theres at least usually 2, the main vox and the ad libs, but i've heard of people layering additonal tracks on top of the main vox for a fuller sound. Anyone have any insight on this?

I like my vocals dirty and gritty... thought I'd say before you throw Charlie Puth trough this method

I usually use 3 tracks for the main vocals((if recorded in mono)

1. The main vocals compressed and the loudest of the three.

2. The same track down an octave with Complex Pro in Ableton. Used to add grid to the vocals if needed. Usualy distorted.

3. a 200% width track doing the sides (some clever left right differences are used to actually generate side content) most Important harmonics are cut out to prevent phase cancellation. I add reverb and delay here...

These tracks go into a bus where I cut away the low end up to like 100hz with a rather steep filter and glue compress them together.

Of course all 3 tracks have their general mixing things on them like EQ and compression making them mixable.

Hope this helped

BRHSM

Back