Latency Issues

MusicManiac

Hello ,

1)Does the latency you use depends on your external soundcard you got ? i mean that your soundcard along with the cpu can help me find which ms is the best for me and if yes then how?

2)Low latency is used to recordings ( and how to determine which ms is suitable?) and higher latencies on mixing in order not to "lag" the daw ?

3)I recorded some vocals and i forgot the latency in a higher level , is there any way than synchronizing them myself to sound the way they were recorded?

Thanks in advance ! :cool:

p.s. if this is a getting started question please someone move it to that section

Latency doesnt differ with different interfaces, 512 buffer is 512 on all interfaces. The difference is how low the interface can go, which is mostly dependent on the driver. Typically all interfaces on average spec'ed machines will get to 512, and most likely 256.

Low latencies are used to record so that headphone mixes playback near instantly, and tracks get recorded at the right time. Most interfaces now use internal routing for the live playback so the latency doesnt matter.

Higher latencies are used for when you want to squeeze a little more juice out of your cpu.
When you use higher latencies you do lag the daw, you hit play and after a noticeable amount of time you hear sound.

most daws compensate for the input latency, but if not, use their nudge function to move each track back by the answer of the following equation.

(latency / sample rate) * 1000 = delay in milliseconds

eg. (512/44100)*1000=11.6 ms

I personally use 512 for midi and recording audio because i find it stable and good enough to be unnoticeable. I hardly ever switch to a higher sample rate.

Last edited:
Most DAWs have latency compensation. You just plug in a kick drum sound, have the output of your interface go directly into the input of the track and record that. Then compare the difference in ms between the original kick and where your recording ended up. Then inside your DAW there should be a way to plug in that ms difference so it automatically compensates.

Typically higher sample rate + lower buffer size = smallest latency. This can have some issues, if you're recording at 192kHz with a buffer size of 64 (works on some DAWs and interfaces without errors), your cpu will end up struggling in the end. If I am recording live things (which I rarely do being an electronic artist) I just use the direct monitor out on my interface because there is virtually zero latency. If you don't have that option, then 88.2kHz 128 buffer size makes for a latency that isn't very noticeable and your computer won't struggle much unless you have tons of processing happening simultaneously.

Last edited:
Hello ,

1)Does the latency you use depends on your external soundcard you got ? i mean that your soundcard along with the cpu can help me find which ms is the best for me and if yes then how?

2)Low latency is used to recordings ( and how to determine which ms is suitable?) and higher latencies on mixing in order not to "lag" the daw ?

3)I recorded some vocals and i forgot the latency in a higher level , is there any way than synchronizing them myself to sound the way they were recorded?

Thanks in advance ! :cool:

p.s. if this is a getting started question please someone move it to that section

1. Yes it does. Both work together.

2. Lower sample rate focuses your CPU on your DAW/Sound Card to provide you with the least lag. You can easily get away with 512 or 1024 during playback as latency is not a critical issue.

3. Split Editing, but that will take some time and it may not sound as good as the real deal. Re-record again :D

Back