latency issue.please HELP

sinwar

hi i am having latency issue.i am using Fl studio 12.4,focusrite 2i2 and xlr mic.when i record audio its few ms behind.when i close fl studio and turn direct monitoring on my interface then there is no latency but i am facing latency issue in fl studio via asio drivers.please help
my laptop specs
i5 5th gen,8 gb ram

Hey Sinwar,

Check your latency/buffer size settings in your ASIO settings panel, you should be able to keep latency very low there while recording and only have to turn it up if you're running complex projects with a lot of effects.
I've also read once that people with Focusrite interface got slightly more perfomance out of the ASIO4ALL drivers than the factory ones.. also worth trying if the above doesn't help.

The reason you don't get any latency with direct monitoring is because that pipes through the input directly, leaving your computer (and FL) out of the equation. So it's normal you don't get latency there, but get some in the computer.

Have you adjusted the buffer size from the 2i2's (software) control panel? Also, is the 2i2 a 1st or 2nd gen unit? The first ones weren't so great on the latency tip, but you should still be able to get usable results.

i tried lowest buffer size but still getting noticeable latency ,i am getting same latency in ASIO4ALL drivers at every buffer size even higher and its driving me crazy.my ever vocal is out of line.is there any other solution?

i tried lowest buffer size but still getting noticeable latency ,i am getting same latency in ASIO4ALL drivers at every buffer size even higher and its driving me crazy.my ever vocal is out of line.is there any other solution?

Yeah, it's a bit of a dirty fix (but it's also very quick) you could just manually offset the delay.
Assuming your audio track is on it's own mixer channel you can dial in the delay yourself in milliseconds or samples.. so if you know either you should be able to make it all match perfectly.

i dont know much about it but FL STUDIO have option of "playback tracking" which have three options 1) drivers 2) hybrid 3) mixer and a offset bar next to it

i tried but looks like nothing is working,i am still getting the same latency.do you think CPU is causing this delay?

Latency is a combination of the interface's drivers' ability to keep the buffer filled up/pass the data from the interface to the OS & CPU to process and vice versa, so it's not just one thing. If it were just as simple as "get a better processor", we wouldn't have a gazillion of threads about people being confused by latency :) The manual delay thing suggested doesn't fix the latency, it just counters its effects by offsetting the tracks back by the amount of the latency.

How much latency are you actually getting? You said "a few ms", but how much is it?

latency is around 15 to 20 ms i think.ifs its due to cpu load then i can reinstall windows and if not then please suggest me better audio interface with usb 3.0

Are you using the latest drivers? The 2nd gen drivers work with the older units as well and should provide less latency (15-20ms seems too high indeed). CPU does play its part in this, but most of it has to do with the interface & drivers.

Btw, when you're asking for an USB3 interface, is it because you need an USB3 interface or do you just think it's gonna fix this? Because while USB3 is theoretically faster, there are interfaces with very low latency figures with USB2 - so it's not really about that either.

All that said, while you should be getting slightly lower numbers, the 2i2 - especially the 1st gen model - isn't the strongest performer in the latency game.

i tried 2nd gen drivers,they not even detecting 2i2. nowadays my 2i2 clicks n pops a lot,do you think something is wrong with interface or usb cable.is it possible to fix a defective interface?
can you tell me best interface with lowest latency for home studio.

Back