KRK Rokit 5s Without Sub???

Trenchant

yeah huh...
i got krk 5s last month, and is it normal for my mixes to be worse than before?? Whenever i take my beats to any other system, the bass sounds really weak, but on the monitors it sounds almost too loud. Would a subwoofer take care of this, or am i screwy?? I got them because i knew i needed speakers and it was a great price. Can anyone recommend a good sub on a budget if that would help?? Thanks a lot in advance.

A sub would make things worse in your case. It's most likely your room that emphasises lows. If you add more low frequencies to that you will be tempted to mix with even less bass. You're probably also not used to the monitors yet.

spend your money on bass trapping instead of a sub. For now you could turn up the HF Level Adjust knob on the back. That should boost the higher frequencies so you'll have to boost your lows in your mix. Basically, get a mix to sound good on your monitors then listen to it on a few other sets of speakers in different settings. If the bass is too loud turn down the highs on your speakers so you are mixing with less bass. If there isn't enough bass turn up the highs on your monitors so you mix with more bass.

NOTE: This is just a temporary band aid. Most definitely NOT a solution.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but i would sell those monitors and upgrade to something that would really allow you to hear whats really going on...

Move your speakers away from any corners, spending money for the proper bass traps is a rediculous practice when dealing with Rockit 5s. Wait til you move up a notch with your monitoring chain to invest in bass traps.

i owned the 5s and traded them in for the 6s in less than 2 days. the 5s get horrible bass response and are fairly weak speakers. the 6s are decent but until you get the 8s you will have to compensate for the minimal bass response and learn the speakers as goos ad possible. if i were you i'd cop the 6s if anything. and like these cats said, the acoustics in your room could be ****ed up. do you have carpet? what shape is the room? etc.

right now i'm mixing in my basement. It's got carpet...and i don't know how else to describe it. Pretty small. I do have my stuff in a corner right now, i gotta change that. I wonder if i can return the monitors...i bought them on July 4th at GC.

thanks for the replies everyone.

The corner is causing your bass issues. Move out the corner, and they'll be fine. Rockit 5's are a marketing ploy, 6s also, but the 6s are better.

You're better off getting a pair of $100-200 8 inch Polk or JBL bookshelves from circuit city. Although the Rockits are "built" better, they don't give you a better "monitoring enviroment" than ordinary bookshelves. But if GC won't take them back, make the best of them. Add a Sub if you notice a problem recognizing bass after you get them out the corner, and you'll get pretty good results.

Also make sure they're level with your ears, and angled so the sound is traveling directly towards your ears. Those monitors are too small for you to get good results without hearing them head on.

Last edited:
alright, thanks for the help. Can y

you recommend some good monitors that are under maybe, $500 for a pair. I'm only 15 so money is an issue.

Last edited:
^^^Honestly, there are none under $500 that I'd recommend over a pair of $100-200 Bookshelves or computer gaming speakers.

Reason being there are some that souund better than $100-200 speakers, but none that sound so much better they're worth the extra $300 bucks.For around $800 you can get some good monitors, but I use PA Speakers, Bookshelves, and a 200w Computer gaming sub myself. Got a pair of Event 20/20s for mastering, but they sound too "sterile" for everyday use.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience with these specific monitors but the price is right on this pair of Tannoy Reveal's I found on ebay for you. It's telling me im not allowed to post links but if you search, "Tannoy Reveal Active powered monitors" on ebay theres a pair on there for $159 right now. Ideally you want to demo any piece of audio gear before you buy but I can assure you this would be a big step up from those rokits... We have Tannoy monitors in the voicetracking studio at the radio station I work at and they sound pretty damn good.

Hey I noticed that the Insignia NS-B2111 gets some very nice reviews for a such inexpensive bookshelves.
The SPL readings look pretty good too.
I might spring for these as an extra pair for referance.
On sale at BestBuy for $72.
I won a $50 gift card for BB at my job's golf tourny (we finished last, but last place gets the second best prize lol).
So $22 out of my pocket for some good bookshelves is'nt bad at all, however these are not shielded, so keep that in mind.

Here's a thread with measurements of the Insignia.

http://www.soundenvironments.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70

Last edited:
^^^Trust me, it's worth it. What type monitors do you currently use? I'd like to hear an update of what you think of the comparison.

And to unfadeable. Tannoy Reveals are Monitors that just get to the point of being good. Alot of people up here will say KRKs are better because they're used to the sound and low end, but Reveals are right at the mark where Monitors begin to be worth the money. $159 is a great price, but that seems kind of fishy unless the price on Reveals dropped recently.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^Trust me, it's worth it. What type monitors do you currently use? I'd like to hear an update of what you think of the comparison.

Right now I'm using Alesis m1 mk2 passives.
The nice thing is at what it's costing me, if I don't like them I still have something nice for the other computer, or a home theater setup.

this thread was a good read...

I was acualy getting tired of my bx5'a monitors.. they sound nice but they have NO bass at all. . . i like to hear bass at least alittle so i can get it right (the mix) I was thinking of getting the bX10 sub also by M-audio . . but that thing is like 400 bucks, maybee more..

I was thinking of getting a sony streio with bookshelf style speakers, and keep the EQ on flat.... is that just stupid? lol.

Reading this thread makes me wanna go to Best Buy and get some 8 inch bookshelf style speakers and ride with those untill the final mix or whatever.. how would you power those...
i do have a yamaha mixer but would i need some type of amp? or would getting that sony sterio help??

Any more thoughts and suggestions would be great..

^^^If your current monitors don't have a volume knob on them(I know some M-Audios do)then you can run bookshelves thru the same chain you're running them thru. I've ran mine off of Mixers, Computer Gaming Sub Woofers(The ones with RCA Outs and a controller with volume and bass on them), Speaker Amps, pretty much anything that has volume control knob on it.

A different solution... since I do not own monitors and am not familiar with them... If your mixes sound too bassy on regular sound systems, and since money is an issue, I'd have like 150$ decent computer speakers on which I'd be used to listen my music to and know what sounds like a normal mix, and switch during my mixing sessions to hear the comparison between them and the monitors... and why not listen to your mixes with headphones too, not saying you should mix with headphones though

Thanx for the replys.. What i need really is some all purpose speakers.

to listen to **** on and make beats on.. i'l mix on the monitors but they have no bass.

i know them pretty good though so i can get the mixing right, but alittle bass during the creation stage would be nice.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^Honestly, there are none under $500 that I'd recommend over a pair of $100-200 Bookshelves or computer gaming speakers.

Reason being there are some that souund better than $100-200 speakers, but none that sound so much better they're worth the extra $300 bucks.For around $800 you can get some good monitors, but I use PA Speakers, Bookshelves, and a 200w Computer gaming sub myself. Got a pair of Event 20/20s for mastering, but they sound too "sterile" for everyday use.
interesting read, I just sold my krk rokit 5 along with my krk 10 sub, I'm moving into an apartment and wanted to start fresh. after looking around I think I might go with the behringer b2031a's. for the price and after reading your post I'm not sure if the extra 200 bucks I'd spend on the the krk rp-8 or events are gonna improve the sound that much, Plus I can take the 200 saved and use it on room treatment.

Back