Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KRK Rokit 5s Without Sub???

Thanks

KRK Rokit 5s Without Sub???

Sign in to disable this ad
    i got krk 5s last month, and is it normal for my mixes to be worse than before?? Whenever i take my beats to any other system, the bass sounds really weak, but on the monitors it sounds almost too loud. Would a subwoofer take care of this, or am i screwy?? I got them because i knew i needed speakers and it was a great price. Can anyone recommend a good sub on a budget if that would help?? Thanks a lot in advance.
    =

Thanks
    A sub would make things worse in your case. It's most likely your room that emphasises lows. If you add more low frequencies to that you will be tempted to mix with even less bass. You're probably also not used to the monitors yet.
    ** people will forget what you sound like but they'll never forget what you made them feel **

Thanks
    spend your money on bass trapping instead of a sub. For now you could turn up the HF Level Adjust knob on the back. That should boost the higher frequencies so you'll have to boost your lows in your mix. Basically, get a mix to sound good on your monitors then listen to it on a few other sets of speakers in different settings. If the bass is too loud turn down the highs on your speakers so you are mixing with less bass. If there isn't enough bass turn up the highs on your monitors so you mix with more bass.

NOTE: This is just a temporary band aid. Most definitely NOT a solution.
    Last edited by rabblerouser; 08-09-2007 at 11:05 AM.
    "Tripping On Unholy Earth"

http://www.neuroticdecay.com

\m/

Thanks
    Just my two cents, but i would sell those monitors and upgrade to something that would really allow you to hear whats really going on...

Thanks
    Move your speakers away from any corners, spending money for the proper bass traps is a rediculous practice when dealing with Rockit 5s. Wait til you move up a notch with your monitoring chain to invest in bass traps.

Thanks
    i owned the 5s and traded them in for the 6s in less than 2 days. the 5s get horrible bass response and are fairly weak speakers. the 6s are decent but until you get the 8s you will have to compensate for the minimal bass response and learn the speakers as goos ad possible. if i were you i'd cop the 6s if anything. and like these cats said, the acoustics in your room could be ****ed up. do you have carpet? what shape is the room? etc.

Thanks
    right now i'm mixing in my basement. It's got carpet...and i don't know how else to describe it. Pretty small. I do have my stuff in a corner right now, i gotta change that. I wonder if i can return the monitors...i bought them on July 4th at GC.

thanks for the replies everyone.
    =

Thanks
    The corner is causing your bass issues. Move out the corner, and they'll be fine. Rockit 5's are a marketing ploy, 6s also, but the 6s are better.

You're better off getting a pair of $100-200 8 inch Polk or JBL bookshelves from circuit city. Although the Rockits are "built" better, they don't give you a better "monitoring enviroment" than ordinary bookshelves. But if GC won't take them back, make the best of them. Add a Sub if you notice a problem recognizing bass after you get them out the corner, and you'll get pretty good results.

Also make sure they're level with your ears, and angled so the sound is traveling directly towards your ears. Those monitors are too small for you to get good results without hearing them head on.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 08-09-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    alright, thanks for the help. Can y

you recommend some good monitors that are under maybe, $500 for a pair. I'm only 15 so money is an issue.
    Last edited by Trenchant; 08-09-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    =

Thanks
    ^^^Honestly, there are none under $500 that I'd recommend over a pair of $100-200 Bookshelves or computer gaming speakers.

Reason being there are some that souund better than $100-200 speakers, but none that sound so much better they're worth the extra $300 bucks.For around $800 you can get some good monitors, but I use PA Speakers, Bookshelves, and a 200w Computer gaming sub myself. Got a pair of Event 20/20s for mastering, but they sound too "sterile" for everyday use.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 08-09-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Thread Information