Killer AutoTune and Melodyne Effects

InfamousGhostKAent said:
i dont know why people think thats an effect... its just that t pain cant sing so they use that... to "auto-tune" his vocals

he can actually sing.... seen him perform...no effects, hes not horrible.. he can sing, suprised me.. on most of his songs the backgrounds and leads dont have the effect on them..

To pull off the effect well, you not only have to be able to sing, you have to sing things a certain way, sometimes wierd ways. Autotune wont help much if you dont have at least a good tonal character.

no offense but u sound really backstreetboy on all ur tracks, beats are weak, rapping is meh, and the autotune is making u sound nsync-ish, my two cent.

Last edited:
MojodaBeatsmith said:
no offense but u sound really backstreetboy on all ur tracks, beats are weak, rapping is meh, and the autotune is making u sound nsync-ish, my two cent.

If you say so. Just wait till me and my boy Mista Ragz drop this next track. Might change your thoughts about the "nsync-ish" vibe your getting. Gonna be straight stunta manyne.

Mista Ragz iz in my myspace top friends.
Im not really takin anything to heart though, cause I do me mayne.

I recently upped my quality. Which isnt really reflected in my current tracks.
And to be "nsynchish" is kind of a complement, I dont listen to them on tha daily, but they are good artist, despite what hataz might say. I mean they balln mayne.

And this thread isnt even about me, its for people wanting a heads up on the AutoTune, and if you look at how many veiws this thread has had, you will see alot of people are interested in the effect.

This Is Dj Sancho

Not Sure How This Website Works But I Dont Have Much Time To Be Logged On So Hit Me Up And Fill Me In
Thanx Or Just Hit Me Up On Myspace

DJ S*A*N*C*H*O

New Track on my myspace. "Since You Left"
Dubz Attic Productions on tha Beat.
ITs got alot of the Auto Tune effect in it.
Peep it.
Oh and Sorry I havent got back to ya DJ Sancho, been real busy. Aint forgot about ya.

OK everyone.
I will be producing my own video tutorial line. The one I will be doing right now will be regarding how to get the TPain effect. However, since the sound and the way I am doing the effect, strictly plugins, You can call it the DozerMayne effect, haha.
No but for reals. I will be showing all aspects of this effect.

Here is a little bit of the Table of Contents for the Video

Intro-Vocal Effects-Impact on Music w/Demonstration
Basic Scale Structure-Music Theory/Scales-Octave-Semitone-Cents
Room Acoustics and Plugins Used
Problems Using Just AutoTune for Correction
Effect Track Setup and Routing
Vocal Offline and Realtime Processing.
Use of Reverb,Eq, and Compression-Best ones for the job
Producing Harmonies and Doubles, With a single Vocal Take.
AND much More
Video demonstrating how to upgrade your RAM
Configuring Your Computer for music Production.
And more.
Also included is an ultimate guide to compression.

I will also show a quick dirty way to get a Vocoded sound.
Also I might include how to get a TalkBox sound with a certain plugin. Still debating if I want to release this info.

Once I am done with the tutorial. I will be making a MySpace page for business. Ground Pounder Productionz-Working on copyright and legal stuff- I will be hosting on the Myspace page a Demo Video of the Tutorial. AND MUCH MUCH MORE.
Also wit a PayPal Button.hehehe

I am working with all plugin manufacturers regarding legal matters. So all you haterz dont get your Legal Panties in a bunch. If you aint hate'n, disregard that message.HAHAHAH
This will be all legit and legal. So Step offfffff.
If you think Im just tryna get that money, HAHAHA
Well no sh*t playa. But mayne Im already balln, so just think of it as
Im tryna help out my peoplez, when no one else would, like this is all
some big secret, and aint gonna tell no one how to get the effect because they might get an EDGE. Well, I mean, I understand. But that is what I is about to do. Show ya how.

I will be selling the first tutorial for about $50.
Thats dirt cheap mayne. If your trying to get a TPain type effect, and having trouble, go around and ask some people, most will charge $50 for just the AutoTune settings.
Then you will think your set. But when you setup autotune, It sounds all jumpy.
I will be addressing all that in my tutorial.

If your interested, Let me Know, I will need to know my workload as far as Pressing the CD or DVD's, adding Cover art, CD/DVD art, Jewel Cases
and all that stuff

I will be doing other tutorials.
How to Setup and Use Vocoders-Choosing Sounds
Quick No Bull**it Mastering-Not as hard as you thought.
Others..

For all you haterz. Go ahead and reference my myspace page, music quality, and all that mess. The myspace page does not reflect my recent advances in knowledge. So eat a d*ck beeeeiiiaa***chhhes

For all my true homies. Holla ata playa.

Last edited:
www.youtube.com/dozerbeatz
more video demo's coming soon
First tutorial disk will drop Sept. 24 2007
Be on tha lookout peoples

I get over 200 emails a week asking how to do vocal effects. Sorry I cant help everyone One on One, so these tutorials will help.
However, I have put about a month of research into getting my setup just right. So of course Im gonna charge. $40 first 100 sales of the disk.
Then price will jump maybe to $50
I wont be spendn tha money on fun stuff, I will be investing in another Desktop in order to run this operation to its fullest. I will be using 2 Desktops and 1 Monitor.

Working on a website. Plan on expanding.
Will continue working on a Full DVD geared toward Vocal Production Techniques.
Holla.

Last edited:
I like it

DaGSpotSoldier said:
An old take of me doing a peice of a song by Brown Boy called "Superman"
I have since then upped my game and knowlege of this effect to a new level.
The word "I" is off, in the part "I can be your superman", but no biggie.
See attachement.
Next post is the Melodyne effect that I came up with. So dont try and cop it as your own. If you already knew about it, which I doubt, well ok, I stand corrected.
Its called the "Dozer" effect, named after its creator, ME.

Hey man your voice is tight...would you consider doing a track with me? ill make the beat and everything or we can collab on itsince ur on fp..lol Hit me back if you down

I have been using (messing with) autotune for about 6 years now. I started out with the Antares Software, but upgraded to the TC Helicon Voice One rack..... I was actually the one who made that "tpain cant sing" video on youtube..... unfortunately, I dont use it to make my own personal music, because I cant stand it.... But I let others use it when they use my studio

Example of fake ass haters

Example of fake mofo's
This dude is taking credit for what I first posted here in this thread.
Saying he figured it out. Blah Blah

(PERSONS INFO HAS BEEN REMOVED BY ME-DaGSpotSoldier)

He posted this exact thread, word for word, in the youtube video discription.
Located by clicking the "more info" link next to the "Subscribe" button located here.
(Link Removed By Me-DaGSpotSoldier)

What motivates people to do this. I just dont get it.

Last edited:

Hmmm why blast at him for it if it's not even tha correct info homie? Sure tha guy is trying to take credit for your work but if it's NOT CORRECT...in tha long run people themselves are gonna realize he's a phony. Unless there's something you don't want people to know? hmmm j/k lol!

Last edited:
The information is sort of correct. But I still wasn't getting the sound I wanted.

Me and the person in question have resolved the issue.
He meant no disrespect, and came forward, so I respect him for that.
He messaged me and we cleared it up.
I have removed the blog that I posted on myspace.

But he did give me an Idea. I will post the link to this thread on my myspace.
The thing is, some people need to be shown visually how to do it. That is the reason I made a video tutorial.

Last edited:

See meng everything was a BIG misunderstanding...you came on here typing like you was ready to kill tha dude. lol...things like this happen. People will steal your ideas, people will imitate you, people are gonna try to take credit for another man's labor. Its dirty business...unless you get things copyrighted or patented or wutever...Dont expect anything to happen. A lesson for everybody else.

**Your lucky on your case tho tha cat actually hit you up and you got things cleared up. Good job! I hate seeing this kinda arguements

I get alot of emails about this thread. Asking for help on how to do what I am discussing in this thread. Far too many emails to help everyone. Also telling me they did exactly what I said to do in this post, and are not getting good results.
SO I created a video tutorial. It does cost. Visit my myspace homepage
for more details.

This thread was initially just me messing around and experimenting with autotune, as indicated in the first paragraph of this thread.
I was not getting the sound I wanted. It took alot of trial and error, and many many hours to get smooth results.

Below is a blog I had on myspace with more info about my venture.

For a long time, I tried to get the smooth effects I heard using autotune.
The one that inspired me the most was by that playa with fire tracks known as
Jon Young.
I have asked him how to get the effects he has on his vocals, but he did not respond.
I messaged J Cash (his partner), but he said it was kind of a secret, that I should ask Jon Young. But again, no response.
I understand why I did not get a response, so I am not bitter about this.
Im sure he gets tons of messages asking how the effect is done. I was just another one of those people. So no hard feelings. Nothing but love.

Now the way Jon Young, or T-Pain, or anyone else gets the effect, I am still not 100% sure, everyone has their own way possibly.
I just know how to do it my way.

To get the effects I have with the dubbed "Autotune" sound, took many months of trial and error. I spent a whole summer almost trying to figure it out.

But I wasn't totally getting the sound I wanted. I did have audio examples posted in that thread, but they have been removed during cleaning of the site I believe.

But after trial and error, I figured out a way to get real smooth effects.
And also how to add a talkbox character to the vocal if needed.

The video where I show my methods is a little over an hour.
So, too type this up would be very time consuming.

I was getting hundreds of messages about how to do it. I couldn't even imagine trying to respond to everyone. So I got an Idea.
I found out about Video Tutorial Creation.
I researched how to create video tutorials for about 4 months.
Then after that, I had to figure out how to supply them to people.
So I put alot of work into it.

Why dont you just give it away for free Dozer???
Well, I also got to thinking, this is maybe something that should be kept secret.
But only a select group could find out. Those people would be my customers.
It would give them an edge over the competition so to speak.
We would share a piece of the pie.
That is why my customers are loyal. Because they paid for the info, so why would they give it for free. It gives them an edge.
Now they wont all get the same results. Everyones vocal has a different vocal character/timbre, so the resulting sound will be all their own.
Not to mention all the work I put into making the project happen.

Once I put the effect to use in my experimental tracks "Missing You", and "Since You Left." the messages flooded in like wildfire. So this tutorial video is my response.

Now take for instance T-Pain, alot of people were clowning him, saying he couldn't really sing, and all that jazz. But, he has shown he can.
And it wouldn't even really matter.
I could put someone in the booth, that sopposedly "can't sing" (just like TPain sopposedly can't).
Would this person be able to create hits like T-Pain?
Probably not.

Now go out and listen to some of the people using Autotune on their vocals.
You will see that some just dont sound that good.
But wait: they are using autotune...whats the deal.
As you can see, its not magic.
You got to have some vocal talent, if your just using Autotune.
Or if you dont have that talent, well then, thats where my video comes in.

Now I can get smooth autotune effects just by using autotune, but it takes more
Vocal takes to do this. And you have to monitor yourself in realtime/live in your headphones to get a good sound. And actually, when you are doing it this way, you have to sing kind of weird, to get good effects with it. And its just more time
consuming. That is why I devised a simpler way of doing it.

It is merely an effect. TPain and no one else is trying to cover up bad vocals(well most of us). They just want that sound.

Now I have nothing but respect for Little Wayne, and love his creativity and music. And I might sound like a hater when I say this. But this is my opinion from an sound aesthetic point of view.
When he has autotune on his vocal, it just doesn't always sound good. I would not have let that sound leave the studio. It sounds very garbled, and I have seen where it pisses alot of people off, and makes people frown on the effect. Ive seen some of his best fans(people I know) shake their head when they hear it, feeling ashamed.
Though there are small parts where it sounds tight.
Other than that, his flows are wicked, and his voice is like no other in the sense that it sets him apart from the rest. Plus the dude is gettn bank. And he is probably doing that on purpose for all I know. That, in fact, is the effect he wants. So more power to him.
I know that if he sent me his vocals, I could make them sound smooth as hell.
But again, that is probably not the effect he is going for, he would rather keep it the way it is. We all have our own taste, and creative Ideas.

---------- Post added 03-03-2011 at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-23-2008 at 02:39 AM ----------

Damn, this thread has the most views in this whole section(minus the ones that are pinned), didn't realize it till I organized by views. I feel special...

---------- Post added 01-20-2012 at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-03-2011 at 04:00 AM ----------

Im in Afghanistan learning Video Production, this audio stuff I know will take it farther. Thanks for all my peeps for support. Keepn it real.

Last edited:
Back