kick and bass mixing group question

StanleySteamer

hey guys quick question here. so when I make a snare/clap I take for example 2 snares and 1 clap and I make them all the same volume, then I output them to a stereo aux track and make that volume the same. so basically I want my snare/clap to hit at -10db. so i set my snares to -10db and my clap to -10db but all those numbers combine make more than -10db. I am wondering if I should be doing that with my kick and sub bass or my kick and 808 bass? Should I be outputting them to stereo aux groups and then setting the volume of the group bus to a certain volume to control all my low end better? any feedback would be much appreciated!

I just use an Equalizer (EQ) to cut out the frequencies that might interfere with other instruments. Doing that will make sure your drums punch through without interfering with the bass lines from around 0-55 Hertz. Kicks should come in where the bass cuts out. Snares are in the midrange of the EQ. Also do a little panning to give them more open space in the mix.

First, don't be so rigid. It's good to keep the volume of all tracks low enough so as not to clip the master bus when they are all combined. But there is no magic number like -10dB that each instrument should be. If I were combining two snares and a clap, I would mix them at whatever values they sound best at. Maybe one snare's sample is super loud, and I set it to -18.2dB. The other might sound best as dominate, and I could set it to -7.8dB. And the clap maybe is just an accent, and I could set it at -11.5dB. These numbers are all made up, but you get the picture: there are no numbers and there is no formula that leads to good sound. So don't concern yourself with numbers and instead just make it sound good!

Second, whether you group the kick and sub-kick depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want the volumes of each to stay connected as you increase or decrease the volume on them all, tossing them into an edit group is the easiest way. But if you want to process them together, then you need to combine them into an auxiliary bus.

If your goal is controlling your low end, I'd recommend EQing the lows out of every instrument that isn't the bass or kick. Then EQ space for the bass to live by cutting frequencies of the kick, and EQ space for the kick to live by cutting frequencies of the bass. If you want the two to take turns being dominant within any given measure, it's best to side-chain compress the bass to the rhythm of the kick.

And if you're concerned about taming the general low frequency level throughout the course of the song, a multi-band compressor can be your friend (either on a low frequency auxiliary bus or the master, with or without compressing higher frequency bands, according to what your song needs).

StanleySteamer, how did you learn that you need to target -10 dBFS for the low end? That is a super limiting idea, so recycle it immediately, it never worked, never will.

Yes you should have the frequency bands of the bass, kick, snare, vocals sit on volume faders.

Last edited:
Back