was just wondering.....

C

choirboy

i have Nuendo 2. i was wondering does anyone know how to change an audio file to a midi file. i need to know how to this cause just started mixing this session an the producer sounds are weak and i want to replace the sounds. so can anyone help me?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this can't be done.

MIDI and audio are not the same thing. MIDI is electronic data, audio is actual sound. To convert an audio wave to MIDI data that you can manipulate is more or less impossible.

What you need is some kind of MIDI controller, usually for production purposes, a keyboard. Those aren't free though.

it's possible, but tricky

i saw some plugins working in a studio. For a single melody it worked, complex arrangements are trickier.

but don't ask me wich plugin, it's a while ago.

I read about a software called "WIDI 3.3" in Keyboards Magazine. It shall be able to convert audio files to MIDI, but I don't know if it really works. It's made by midimaster, possibly you can download a demo on their homepage.
Cheerz

That Widi program works actually quite well but only really with single instrument lines and chords. As soon as there's drums involved it gets really tricky to extract the notes you need.

Old skool method:
Listen, play along and then record as MIDI ;)
Anyway, a good instrumentalist is quicker 'extracting' parts from a mix than a non-instrumentalist with some piece of software.

easy
B#

On the humble, I really think the old-school method is the best way to go about it. You shouldn't be too dependent on software and plugins yo, you should be able to play it by yourself in midi after listening to it sometimes. If you don't have no midi keyboard or anything I see why you're trying to lyckety-split the process, but cop ya self a midi keyboard yo. It doesn't cost much, Maudio have some really cheap ones.

i must be retarded....

choirboy-- i know nothing about nuendo.

BUT- are you trying to actually convert a wav file to midi? OR do you have your track built in the sequncer, and you want some of THAT as midi, so you can replace the sounds used?

the latter sounds more likely.... although, kind of a surprising question from someone who was comfortable investing in something as powerful as nuendo.... as it is a pretty simple thing, and something nuendo should do with ease.

so am i way off here? what are you trying to do....

peace.

It's not exactly a doddle to 'convert' audio to MIDI. The app must analyse the audio material and extrapolate pitch, note length, dynamics etc (independently from its sound!) While it's perhaps RELATIVELY easy with a monophonic line and a simple waveform or very short 'atonal' events (like a drum beat), I can imagine that it requires some quite sophisticated algorithms to do that with chords or even more complex material.

Nuendo does not provide this in standard (yet) but there are a few third party plugs like mentioned Widi, Digital Ear etc. (I don't know any DAW software where this comes standard btw.)

If you've got the material as individual audio tracks, all the better, Widi will do the job quite ok. If you've got only a mix it'll be difficult...

l8rz
B#

Back