Judge My Mix

Mellow Monarchs

First mix.

Goal/Explanation:

2 Part Intro... 1st Part is normal Intro, second part is almost like a hook, but still an intro.. The second drop is into the verse.

The 808 is meant to be obnoxious. The hihats when the smooth part drops in is meant to be upfront in the mix for the bounce.

3rd and final transition is into the hook. As you'll see it's something different

That's what I was trying to achieve. Let me know how I can improve the mix while maintaining my goals. Thanks.

Side Note: Create in Reason 10, Mixed w/ help of Ozone 8

soundcloud.com/user-900553169/i-cut-the-stove-red-ozone-mix-tagged-full

Last edited:
I don't know a ton about mixing, but I think with the bass it may need some distortion and an initial bass hit (something that goes BOOM at the start of the Bass). For the Hi-Hats try stacking the hi-hat layers, sidechaining them to the track with the most treble and perhaps a transient designer (i.e. Flux 3) might help.

First off, I absolutely love the arrangement! Sounds next level and it’s so eerie. As Bruce said, the 808 does need some punch. I like the distortion effect, but it’s most effective in the 100-300hz range. The effect seems to be taking the energy from the low end. You want that to knock. It also sounds like the 808 has a stereo effect, which I hear a lot nowadays but maybe you can create a copy of the original 808 and blend it with the effect. Let the low end from the original 808 give the track energy and use the distortioned track as the effect. I hope that helps. Nonetheless, great record man!

Thanks for the review. Greatly appreciate it. I can see where the bass and the distorted bass layer can use some adjustment. I 'm going to play with that.

Thanks!

That's a nice track, it's simple but effective. I can't really comment on the mix at the moment because my equipment sucks at this point but I can tell you it sounded decent through some Creative HS-720 headphones. One thing I might suggest is that you could add some more percussive elements or drop-ins to accompany the hi-hat. Maybe even add a separate hat with a different tone playing a regular consistent hat rhythm. But that's more into the producing rather than mixing side of things so maybe a useless idea. Anyway, track is very nice and I could spit something on that, im sbashir on soundcloud

Last edited:
Back