i want a mouthesizer!! and you probably would too!

fluxtah

well, i dont think they sell these things but it is really kool, i want one.

http://www.mis.atr.co.jp/~mlyons/mouthesizer.html

check out the vowel filter patch mpeg link on the page to see what i mean.

kinda sounds like those voicebox things. has anyone run a synth through anything similar to this and does anyone know of any really good vowel / formant filters available that allow smooth transitions of AEIOU vowels?

I hope the mothesizer comes available soon cos im gonna be first on the list to buy one!

fluxtah

the Yamaha FS1R can do those things, and then some you can control the formants sweep with a mod wheel for example and it sounds really wild, I love that synth, the downside is the bad user interface but since I use the mac editor its ok, its one of the most complex synths I've ever used :victory:

I checked out the FS1R as im quite serious about getting this sound and found that the demo songs i found did not sound anything like the mouthesizer, maybe i downloaded the wrong demos but i wouldnt mind going to the music shop and getting a real go on the FS1R, the demos did amaze me! some really nice vocodery effects and some really lush sounds.

Still there is nothing that can really compare to a mouth controlled formant filter shifting. I play the jews harp and it involves a similar technique shaping the throat and mouth to form different vowel tones, same as the didgeridoo almost. Could this be the controller for the virtual didgeridoo or virtual jews harp?!

cant wait for it to get released.

Unfortunately the inventor wont be releasing it too soon but its on the cards!! cant wait!! :)

fluxtah

Last edited:
u talkin about the factory demos?

oh those demos are blah fluxtah, they show about .002% of what yhe FS1R can actually do, ( ok I'm exaggerating ) to get those wilder sounds you have to program them but its worht it, if you decide to buy it you can download some patches that use more of the FS1R capabilities....

i can kinda hear some potential in some of the demos, I think I might demo one next time im in the music shop.

fluxtah

B%26WPQE.jpg

here is an early analog version of the mouthesizer:D

the guy is sticking a pipe in his mouth attached to an indian looking instrument...

k, its close but its not the same thing ahahahahaha :)

That's the biggest bong I've ever seen!!

(In case anyone is actually interested it's not an Indian instrument, it's a bassoon - I think, it's been a while since I looked at any 'classical' instruments)

indeed it looks like an 'ordinary' bassoon, but connected to a home-made modular synth, what's not so ordinary ;)

Bassoon > mic > filters etc in synth (at a guess)

Damn filthy hippies :D

[/off-topic]
Hey Kasio, you've been seeing that ARP2600 already where you were talking about a few weeks ago ?

And a question: you ever played/heard a Micromoog ? Is it worth buying it for £ 240 ? [off-topic]

k, its a basoon.. a very bong like one... hmmmm did anyone actually download the mouthesizer clip i was talkin about> :hello:

Last edited:
i started to but was gettin real bad dl speeds so i gave up
gonna wait for it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Its easy to build a vowel filter in Reaktor... in fact V3.0 has a preset for it... but really even a simple emulation of the Morpheus Z-plane filter can do it.

Its basically just a series of LowPass, Highpass and peak filters with cutoff and resonant values that move independently over time (relative to each other ) ...... ok... maybe its just simple in my mind ;) ...

What is important is that you run the sound through your peak (or notch) filters first before going through your low and high pass filter (To preserve your sound data). And it is important that you change your values over time since the vowel you're filtering at only becomes obvious as you shift to another sound or vowel.

Ehmm... I suppose if anyone is really interested they could ask for more info... but this is usually the point in a conversation where I just get blank stares.

yup, im kinda staring blankly, i will read again, some more info would be nice :)

can this be done real-time?

Oh yeh, and that vowel filter in reaktor is really kool sounding.

fluxtah

Last edited:
everything can be done realtime in Reaktor ;)

For more info just do a search on google or something for Z-plane and/or Morpheus.

There are a few pages out there that explain how the Z-Plane filters work.

Back