I want to achieve this vocal effect

Dice-

How's it going I'm new to this site but not to music..I have been engineering and songwriting for several years now and my craft and mixes have definitely improved from when I first started engineering ✊?✊???. I went to school for audio production which was amazing because they actually helped me understand the terminology and the science behind mixing, so it definitely did give me more knowledge for my craft. But I dont want to just be able to do a clean mix.. I want to be able to compete with the industry standard sound. Especially in hip hop /rap and pop vox ..these 2 are what I want to dominate in..
last night I was listening and studying the vocals to this song >>. Migos - T-Shirt [Official Video] - YouTube .. can someone on here help me try to achieve this sound .. at home I just own a MacBook Pro a blue baby bottle mic and a Mbox pro 3 interface with the latest Waves bundle. I also own a Avatone cv12 mic which I left at the studio I work at .. would love some help and guidance.

To me, it sounds like a simple, dry lead EQ'd a little bright maybe. "Hype" vocal is pitched-down with an octaver, and there are some heterophonic/gang vocal backgrounds to beef-up the hook (not exactly/technically harmonies, but sometimes harmonizing).

PS-- Oh, sorry, I just realized that that was your vocal, and that the first example (Migos) is what you were asking about. I don't hear anything crazy out of the ordinary. It does sound like there is some Auto-Tune/pitch-correction on for no apparent reason (not the singing parts, but also just detectable; not really used as a huge effect). Probably hit pretty hard wit the compressor.

Last edited:
Add reverb? I really don't know what you're looking for. Can you point to a specific sound or (timed) place in the song?

Add reverb? I really don't know what you're looking for. Can you point to a specific sound or (timed) place in the song?
Was trying to get them tighter but sound full .. I feel like the Migos verse was compressed but it sounded full and clearer

Thousands of vocals are "full and clear," but also quite compressed. Watch your settings; better yet, _listen_. Go for a sound that is upfront but not totally squashed, pumping, or smeared.

10:1 or more is not an out-of-the-question ratio (depending on the situation).

The main difference in the two to me is just the delivery. You gotta work on that natural sound of your mc's voice. Today's hip hop is all harmonies. Don't be afraid to sing with it give your vocals that soul you are looking for.

Back