I sound horrible when rapping

Blissman

s hey I started writing lyrics and making beats but when I try recording it sounds bad or could it just be because I don't like the way my voice sounds or I'm trying to compare myself to the other rappers. I think my delivery is pretty good I listen to people like Redman Jadakiss Eminem Hopsin(Not often but his aggressive delivery sounds good) and Meth, and even snoop cause I wanna use different styles of delivery like laid back, aggressive, sad, but when I record it sound TERRIBLE(to me) any help on this I'll try to get a audio clip(probably like a 30 sec verse) up for you guys just to have a little more to go on but could really use some help here in the meantime anything would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You didn't say anything about how or with what exactly you're recording, or how the space/room you're recording is...but basically everyone who hears themselves recorded will be somewhat horrified at their own voice.

You are to hard to yourself. Everyone sounds far from perfect at the beginning. Try to change your voice (frequency, accentuation, pronounciation, volume) and record the same verse multiple times. (50 times or more) You will notice a difference after some time.

As the previous poster said don't be too hard on yourself. The wonderful thing about recording yourself is the development that comes. Keep experimenting and don't compare yourself to other successful artists. Try to come up with your own unique style and use the artists you like as a reference. When I first started I used to make my favorite artists' beats over and gradually over time I learned to create my own style from referencing my favorites. Hope that helps and keep us updated.

Don't worry about sounding deep as with regards to your voice nature will take its course via puberty. Many people rap similar to how they talk and it's neither good or bad but it depends. Be willing to improve and don't settle for less 'cause it's too much settling for less in all genres. Know your strengths and play to them and know your weaknesses and commit to working on them. Don't worry about what the greats have done as you are in a completely different era of rap.

Back