I never could get this modern Snare sound... ( help )

Vitulano

Hi people, I hope you’re fine. I am writing here with one concern: I cannot achieve a kind of snare sound widely used on mainstream music for pop/electro style…
I am a musician from Argentina who started producing and mixing six years ago, and sometimes I am asked these kind of style… but NEVER succeeded in getting this punchy exciting and modern sound, which I can only describe as PPFF sound…( the forum doesn't let me to add a link, but, for an example, check the choruses on CAPITAL CITIES- VOWELS please )
I ‘ve tried blending a real drum with drum machine’s different samples ( 808, 909, Oberheim DMX, etc ), tried adding white noise, claps, distortion, etc.. and although I delivered the job ( the song ), I know I’ didn’t nailed the sound AT ALL.

I would appreciate a lot some kind of advice!

Best,

Vitulano.

You must be very close. It is a layered sound, drum machine snare that if I was to describe it in acoustic snare terms, would be a medium tuned wood snare with a touch of med. metal shell snare. Dry claps, then (or additionally) wet claps added. As for the snare itself, did you try tuning, EQ, and crushing the heck out of it with compression? I know I've gotten close to this without trying too hard with an HR-16B and a compressor. Do you have this track up, ready to A-B with your snare sound when you are trying to dial it in?

GJ

hmmm... hearing it again, I now realise there's a lot of layered clap responsible for that snappy, punchy snare... you are right. Thanks a lot Gregg.
Regarding tweaking the DM sample with compression, it's always for worse, I don't do any better with it to a sample, I just still don't have the knowledge i think.
Do you mean if i A/B this kind of references with my productions? Yes I do.

OK, keep tweaking; I think from what you describe, you are close. Maybe you could post some of your sound(s) so we can see where you are.

Here are a couple articles to look at re: drum sounds--

* Mix Recipes: Snare Drum EQ and Compression | BenVesco.com

* How To Get A Phat Snare Drum Using EQ & Compression

The basic idea is to hit it hard (probably more than they suggest here^^^^), with anything from a 6:1 to 10:1 ratio, fast attack, slower release, and a fair amount of make-up gain. If you have any tube saturator plug-ins (or better yet hardware) that you want to use (sparingly! Don't overdo it!), then that would be a good place to do so.

Gregg

Back