I need help on a mixing effect

Jay580

I don't know if this the right place to post this, but I'm new, so I don't' really know.

There's this video called Wakapella by Cam On The Beat on Youtube (I can't post links. Sorry) and in that video, he uses some up and down effect. Can anyone tell me what that effect is called or how to do it? I've been trying to figure it out for a while.

Which part are you talking about exactly? Didn't really hear anything that sounds like "up and down"...

Yeah, I can't hear it either. Can you leave a minutes/seconds mark? (Or just post a couple of more appropriate posts so you can throw up a link and a time-marker)...

GJ

The wobbly effect you're pointing out comes from adjusting the resonance and frequency cutoff in a synthesizer. You can do this directly in a synthesizer, or you can apply it down the chain or to a recorded instrument with a plugin like Waves MetaFilter.

You can tie the parameters to follow signal strength, or to a sequence, or according to a pattern set by the LFO (low-frequency oscillator). And you can choose to have it apply to just resonance, just the low-pass frequency, or both.

If you want to see it in action, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRlbljz8Kc Action seems to start at 1:12. He covers it a bit slowly, and he creates a bunch of sounds that aren't very desirable. But if you watch the whole video, you can see how resonance and frequency can be manipulated.

The tutorial shows it being applied to a guitar. But if you do this to a fuzzy, lo-fi synth, you'll get the same effect as the songs you linked to.

Back