I need expert advice!! help all experienced producers..

Cameo

Okay not expert help.. but im knew to producing, actually im a singer but id like to make my own beat or influence the producer who is making the beat for me..im spending money for studio time so i desperately need to unerstand what im looking for before i get in the studio.

Im not a complete novice, ive used audio editing software, i can cut, trim, reverb music etc. I also play piano a little when i practice singing my scales and can play a song if i have a day to learn it.

With that said my first question is what are the different sounds called on keyboards? by sounds i mean the "synths" or sounds that imitate other instruments? there are usually alot of them and they are numbered. For example if I wanted to imitate a guitar..

And my last question is about a certain sound used in instrumentals..its a mellow type sound usually produced using a setting on the keyboard. Its used to create the beat to alot of Drake's songs and its like a very relaxing mellow organ type sound.

Here are examples:

in this song the sound im talking about is 95% of this beat. If you listen to the beat, its basically a snare and the sound im describing.

In in this song the sound im describing is basically the only thing you here before the woman speaks on the phone. Again it is basically the meat of this beat.

im sorry if i didnt describe it well enough, thank you so much for your help.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

sorry i spelled new and maybe other words wrong :P

Try a pad, choir, rhodes, etc... Theres all types that sound different and can sound mellow or however you want it. Just use the right notes when your playing it and ittl be mellow.

Try a pad, choir, rhodes, etc... Theres all types that sound different and can sound mellow or however you want it. Just use the right notes when your playing it and ittl be mellow.

Yeah im familiar with the sound of the rhodes and choir was what i was suspecting, thank you, i'll try a pad. is there a name for these imitative synths that are found on a keyboard?

Pads with alot of reverb and Equing, layering will produce that infamous Boi-ida sound or 40.

Also the "sounds" are whatever you load into the keyboard wether via computer or the workstation. Strings, pads, leads, synths, bass, guitar, piano, organ, orchastral...etc..

Also you can try some short delay tricks and also reverb to the back sound (Rhodes,Pad,Whatever).Feel free to ask anything else by pm.

Last edited:
Back