I must not know how to connect studio monitors to a subwoofer?

prodeucer

My studio monitors is an Alesis M1Active 320 USB. My subwoofer is a Polk Audio PSW111. I could hear the subwoofer but very subtle. I have the right subwoofer cables I think but why is this not syncing with the Alesis studio monitors? Is it because it's not compatible with each other? Do I need a subwoofer receiver for it to be compatible?

you would need to buy a crossover system that can connect to your sub and monitors in order to send the right frequencies to each speaker.

There's a crossover in the Polk. However, it outputs speaker level signals and your Alesis speakers expect line level input, so that's a bit of a problem...so yeah, you'd need either a) different speakers, b) different sub or c), as suggested, a separate crossover unit to make the split.

what is this separate crossover unit thing? Is this a receiver of sort or a cable of sort? how would I know what could work for what I have? Do i contact the manufacturer of my equipment?

That would be the best way to get the most correct info. But, you could also use a separate amp for the sub, if you have multiple outputs from your mixer/sound card/interface (everything depends on what you have and how you have it set-up).

A crossover is a device that sends the correct frequencies to each speaker/speaker set. Some crossovers are internal (inside a three-way speaker, for example), and some are external (separate rack mount devices). Some newer amps even have the crossover circuitry (and lots more, like EQ and effects) in the amp itself, which can be accessed from a menu: class d rackmount amp with crossover - Recherche Google

In any event, you've got to figure out what you've got. As krushing said, it looks like your speakers have different input expectations. But as laurend said, most subs won't really be heard or felt if you are too close to them. The ones that "kick" are usually set-up wrong and are more for the effect and the producer's ego than they are for mixing anything.

How was I supposed to know what could work for my speakers? Is there a way to know for future reference? or having a crossover pretty much solves everything.

There's a crossover in the Polk. However, it outputs speaker level signals and your Alesis speakers expect line level input, so that's a bit of a problem...so yeah, you'd need either a) different speakers, b) different sub or c), as suggested, a separate crossover unit to make the split.

Last edited:
Are you saying it's impossible to make my setup sync due to the M1A's handling of its own tweeter/woofer? Could a 3-way work as well when I only need a 2-way? Just asking because I found a 3-way that's cheaper than a 2-way.

Last edited:
Are you saying it's impossible to make my setup sync due to the M1A's handling of its own tweeter/woofer? Could a 3-way work as well when I only need a 2-way? Just asking because I found a 3-way that's cheaper than a 2-way.

No, it's not a problem. Just pointing out that you're only making one split - the M1A's do another internally (to its tweeter & woofer), but it's got nothing to do with "sync". A 3-way would work if you can, well, use it as a 2-way (in other words, turn off one of the splits).

And yeah, you'll need a stereo crossover. You'll be running a mono setup otherwise.

Is this 2-way/3-way a better option since it's $15 cheaper than the products I listed above:

Behringer Super-X Pro Cx2310 High-Precision Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover With Subwoofer Output

Amazon.com: Behringer Super-X Pro Cx2310 High-Precision Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover With Subwoofer Output: Musical Instruments

Even when I have only 1 subwoofer I'd still need a stereo crossover? I wonder why?

I prefer the compact versions like the Rolls products I listed above rather than the rack mount products. I found that Samson Audio also has one:

[h=1]Samson Audio S-XOver 2-Way Electronic Crossover[/h]
Amazon.com: Samson Audio S-XOver 2-Way Electronic Crossover: Musical Instruments

Last edited:
I have a psw110 paired with some Mackie CR4's through a ddj t1. Wish I could cop an interface but broke life lol

Back