I don't know how to fix my tracks?

Zermander

2nd song i've produced: soundcloud.com/zermander/today

Hey, guys. So first of all, i just want to say that i'm 16 and that i've put around 200 hours into my music production career, and in that time i've only made 2 tracks. The first one isn't finished, but the 2nd one is (kinda?). The problem that i've come across, for both songs, is that after finishing the melody, and layering all these different beats and synths together, the volume levels of each instrument is completely off from each other. Like each instrument is overpowering the other in different segments of the song. I've tried resolving this problem, by changing the volume levels in the mixer so that each instrument can be heard, but only to find out when the 2nd melody is introduced (which has different instruments in it) the volume in that segment is also screwed up. The song sounds OK using headphones, but when played through speakers it sounds pretty bad due to the volume problem, the empowering of other instruments, aswell as the lacking of dynamics. If anyone can give me feedback on my song, and help me with these problems i've run into, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

PS: i'm completely clueless when it comes to mixing and mastering lol. i haven't looked into that much, but it seems very complex. I've mixed both of my songs, but i'm not sure whether i'm doing it right or not. So if anyone knows any good text tutorials on mixing/mastering for complete dirt beginners, please send them my way because i really want to improve my craft. Thanks :)

Listen to what RedBeerd basically, you can find a lot of useful tips and articles about mixing on this forum. Get on YouTube and watch tutorials as well, i suggest Busy Works Beats TV, he got some great ones imo.
I would also suggest that you don't focus on those 2 tracks only. Keep making new ones and you will get better, than you can come back and work again on those 2 as well.

i just want to say that i'm 16 and that i've put around 200 hours into my music production career, and in that time i've only made 2 tracks.

That's not a bad thing at all. You're starting at a super young age and you'll be filthy if you stick with it. I didn't have a single song finished until 2 years into my journey lol it's all about what you're learning along the way!

If you have a track that plays throughout your whole song, like a kick drum or even your vocal track - set that track's volume first at about -6dBFS. Then agree to never let yourself lower that track, and adjust everything else around that.

As long as that track is playing throughout the whole song and you adjust everything according to it, nothing should pop out unduly in the mix!

Also, many headphone sets are "hi-fi" and actually drastically alter the sound themselves to make it sound higher quality. Not at all what you want while mixing. Look for ones with a "flat frequency response". I doubt that's the case, but if it is don't waste hundreds of hours mixing on those like I did lol.

I wouldn't worry about mastering if I were you, leave that part to pros and people you pay to do it. You need a very special set up for it.

Regarding mixing, read a few pages a day of this book below and you'll see it's not all that complex :).

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio: Mike Senior: 8601300165929: Amazon.com: Books

Best of luck!

Back