i am an edm musician and dj which version of pro tools do i need ?

ahmed labeeb

For mixing and final editing ?

And what are the differences betwee n

Only pro tool ,le,se,m powered and hd? I am amatuer on music .

You don't need pro tools for mixing and final edit. Save yourself some money, pick up Reaper.

I grew up with 4 track cassette tapes, reel to reel and then later Pro Tools and in my opinion, Pro Tools is NOT the best software for EDM. I don't have experience with Reaper so can't offer an opinion there but either FL studio, Ableton or Logic would be better (the first two I have personal experience with but the latter I've seen mentioned several times by other EDM folk). My personal preference being Ableton for it's warping features. In fact, if you ever want to DJ in future, Ableton also has that ability (although some might prefer Traktor /Serato / CDJ)

Lastly, if you're on a super low budget, maybe check out FL Studio on iPhone.

Good luck!

reaper is a fully featured daw that can compete with fl or logic or ableton at most levels, what it lacks in libraries can be made up with free and paid for plugins

I'd also suggest maybe reason if you are looking to create edm that uses modular synthesis as part of the package, and cubase which is just as capable as any of those mentioned

...For mixing and final editing ?...

His statement leads me to believe he is already using something to write & compose, I think the discussion is really dictated by this. FL Studio and Ableton Live are not geared toward mixing and finalization, great tools none the less. If he's talking creation that's another topic altogether, but it doesn't appear so by his original post.

You're gonna want pro tools 11, no offline bounce in 10. They were late to the party. 11 has some updates that out it above 10 for music production. 64 bit being a big one.

You dont need HD..or a light version. Just get the regular pro tools 11. Its just as capable for electronic production as any DAW as long as you have your own nice set of 3rd party plugins. Im actually using a lot of pro tools specific post production workflow in my music sessions now. Lots of editing on the go as well, makes it so much handier especially for zero cross edits, you can get right in and see the string of the waveform.

Last edited:
His statement leads me to believe he is already using something to write & compose, I think the discussion is really dictated by this. FL Studio and Ableton Live are not geared toward mixing and finalization, great tools none the less. If he's talking creation that's another topic altogether, but it doesn't appear so by his original post.

I take no position on what mr lahbeeb is currently using - I was addressing the response that said he should consider something other than pro-tools or reaper made by someone who has limited experience with them compared to their stated experience with fl, ableton and logic - the suggestion was biased by their experience, not by their knowledge

secondly, only if you are unaware of how to use the daw would you say that fl and ableton can not be used to mix and finalise - my own 30+ years of experience suggests that, in most cases, it is not the tools being used but the person using the tools that is at fault if they can not be used to do the job (leaving aside issues of right tool for the right job for a moment)

pro-tools has a mystique built around it being the dominant daw in pro level studios, note that it is not the only daw, but the dominant daw - nuendo, cubase, studio one, audition all have their place in the pro studio world

Thanks everyone basically I am on fl studio and ableton looking forward to start reason and cubase and do Komplete come with common presents ?

honestly any version will do. its not the tech its the producer, the artist, the DJ. but if you really want the tech get the latest. technology is always based on the now. remember latest versions always have something more to offer than their predecessors. I mean if you were going out to buy a smart phone would you get the older model because you like it or the latest version?

I take no position on what mr lahbeeb is currently using - I was addressing the response that said he should consider something other than pro-tools or reaper made by someone who has limited experience with them compared to their stated experience with fl, ableton and logic - the suggestion was biased by their experience, not by their knowledge

secondly, only if you are unaware of how to use the daw would you say that fl and ableton can not be used to mix and finalise - my own 30+ years of experience suggests that, in most cases, it is not the tools being used but the person using the tools that is at fault if they can not be used to do the job (leaving aside issues of right tool for the right job for a moment)

pro-tools has a mystique built around it being the dominant daw in pro level studios, note that it is not the only daw, but the dominant daw - nuendo, cubase, studio one, audition all have their place in the pro studio world

I specifically wrote that FL Studio and Ableton Live are not "geared" toward mixing and finalization. I own both and use both, and feel that this is a total fair a representative statement. No where did I say you cannot mix in those applications, but however, I would not recommend those applications for mix specific purposes. Again, I do 90% of my work in Ableton Live, even most of my mixing in Live, but I would not recommend it as a mix application. I get it, you need to be fair and balanced, that is your job as a moderator. I am looking at this from the perspective of a music creator who spends money on music making tools; Reaper does the job at an incredibly competitive price, much lower than pro tools.

honestly any version will do. its not the tech its the producer, the artist, the DJ. but if you really want the tech get the latest. technology is always based on the now. remember latest versions always have something more to offer than their predecessors. I mean if you were going out to buy a smart phone would you get the older model because you like it or the latest version?

This is not true. Sometimes your system dictates what software you can run. Just because the software is new does not mean it's going to run well on your system. Also, take a look at Avid's support page and you'll find specification regarding hardware necessary to run Pro Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I specifically wrote that FL Studio and Ableton Live are not "geared" toward mixing and finalization. I own both and use both, and feel that this is a total fair a representative statement. No where did I say you cannot mix in those applications, but however, I would not recommend those applications for mix specific purposes. Again, I do 90% of my work in Ableton Live, even most of my mixing in Live, but I would not recommend it as a mix application. I get it, you need to be fair and balanced, that is your job as a moderator. I am looking at this from the perspective of a music creator who spends money on music making tools; Reaper does the job at an incredibly competitive price, much lower than pro tools.

This is not true. Sometimes your system dictates what software you can run. Just because the software is new does not mean it's going to run well on your system. Also, take a look at Avid's support page and you'll find specification regarding hardware necessary to run Pro Tools.

Actually I'm right. You could use soup cans to produce if you wanted. I know a young talent who uses an older version of pro tools and he still gets his music published by labels. Its the producer, not the tech.

...Actually I'm right. You could use soup cans to produce if you wanted. I know a young talent who uses an older version of pro tools and he still gets his music published by labels. Its the producer, not the tech....

I think you may have missed my point. I don't disagree with you regarding the value of the producer vs the tools, we are on the same page there.

I still contest that this is not true and not sound advice, "Any version will do." Refer to my earlier comments.

Last edited:
I think you may have missed my point. I don't disagree with you regarding the value of the producer vs the tools, we are on the same page there. Good story about your friend, congratulations to him.

Ok.

I still contest that this is not true and not sound advice, "Any version will do." Refer to my earlier comments.

You're right. I should've said any version that is capable of producing a final product will do. Don't you think?

EDIT: Correction. Any version capable of producing a final product will suffice.

EDIT: Correction. Any version capable of producing a final product will suffice.

Agreed. Caveat being that it works on your system. 99.9% of software is capable, but not all software will run on all systems. Another way to say this is when I purchased Pro Tools M powered, several years ago, it would not run on Windows XP media edition. :4theloveofgod:

Agreed. Caveat being that it works on your system. 99.9% of software is capable, but not all software will run on all systems. Another way to say this is when I purchased Pro Tools M powered, several years ago, it would not run on Windows XP media edition. :4theloveofgod:

Lol amen to that. Thank God for Windows 8. So much smoother and no hiccups.

You don't need pro tools for mixing and final edit. Save yourself some money, pick up Reaper.

^^^ This. A million times, this. Reaper, while being a bit bare bones in the way of native plugins and things of that nature, is every bit as capable as Pro Tools, at like an 8th of the price. Although, there are a few decently priced and quite capable DAWS out there, I can only comment on REAPER, as this is the program I use primarily after graduating from FL studio. REAPER is also VERY easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Back