i am an edm musician and dj which version of pro tools do i need ?

^^^ This. A million times, this. Reaper, while being a bit bare bones in the way of native plugins and things of that nature, is every bit as capable as Pro Tools, at like an 8th of the price. Although, there are a few decently priced and quite capable DAWS out there, I can only comment on REAPER, as this is the program I use primarily after graduating from FL studio. REAPER is also VERY easy to use once you get the hang of it.

I looked into reaper years ago during my quest for knowledge on how to mix lol. I stuck with my DAW of choice once I figured out that not only did it perform better than I'd ever expect but because when you buy it you also get a great support team along with it. learning how to make a beat is one thing but try weaving through the technical aspect of getting the DAW to work when you have no idea what this knob does. lololol good times. does reaper have that kind of support system? I want to know so that I can pass it on to the next kid who wants to produce in the future.

Actually I'm right. You could use soup cans to produce if you wanted. I know a young talent who uses an older version of pro tools and he still gets his music published by labels. Its the producer, not the tech.

I hope I'm not out of line here saying this, but if you're interested, it's worth knowing in this field. Record labels and Publishers are two separate and distinct entities, that serve very different purposes. What program your friend uses to create a master has literally nothing to do with publishing, as publishers do not deal with sound recording copyrights. At it's most basic level, RC's deal with sound recording copyrights (the rights to the "master" recording) and publishers deal with songwriters and intellectual property, such as sheet music, which was publishings original purpose. (these are called performing arts copyrights). Just in case you might be heading into this kind of business, this is an important distinction to make.

Last edited:
I looked into reaper years ago during my quest for knowledge on how to mix lol. I stuck with my DAW of choice once I figured out that not only did it perform better than I'd ever expect but because when you buy it you also get a great support team along with it. learning how to make a beat is one thing but try weaving through the technical aspect of getting the DAW to work when you have no idea what this knob does. lololol good times. does reaper have that kind of support system? I want to know so that I can pass it on to the next kid who wants to produce in the future.

REAPER does have a dedicated team for user support via forum. However, I've never actually used the site, so I can't comment on how good or bad they may or may not be.

Last edited:

Well supported in the sense that the software is well documented and there are plenty of resources available to help learn it. Above that I don't believe they offer direct support, something that you might compare to Avid's Pro Tools support. Check the support out at Reaper Resources & Forum. [FYI I'm not affiliated with Reaper, or any other DAW]

Well supported in the sense that the software is well documented and there are plenty of resources available to help learn it. Above that I don't believe they offer direct support, something that you might compare to Avid's Pro Tools support. Check the support out at Reaper Resources & Forum. [FYI I'm not affiliated with Reaper, or any other DAW]

thanks. them having an active forum means a lot.

to use PT or not

I would look into Ableton or Cubase
Anleton is a good choice to use DJ too. Truthfully PT would be the last thing Is buy
Good luck

I would look into Ableton or Cubase
Anleton is a good choice to use DJ too. Truthfully PT would be the last thing Is buy
Good luck

OP's original question is regarding mixing & finalization. Although Live is amazing for performing, it falls short as a mixing tool. Cubase on the other hand is probably the best all around DAW I've every used, great MIDI & Audio features. That being said, factoring in level of experience, I would send those just getting started towards a cost effective solution i.e. Reaper @ $60 vs Cubase ('Artist" for arguments sake) @ $299. Once the user decides this game is worth the investment then I say drop the $$$ on what works best for you. Get your feet wet first though and see if this is something for the long run.

Back