how to time beats correctly when using an MPC in conjunction w/ software?

pinkwarrior235

Hi there,

I have the MPC element pad and I want to record beats with it by hitting the pads obviously, but how do I know that
what I hit on the pads after I'm done is in perfect time? since obviously human finger tapping is going to be a little bit off, how are you supposed to readjust the notes in the pattern in the playlist after you've tapped/recorded them so that the notes are perfect musical timing according to time signature(s)? (I'm using Fruityloops 12)

The process of adjusting notes/audio to a set grid is called quantization. It can either move things strictly on the grid, so everything's "perfect" (but this tends to be a bit boring), or usually you can set the "strength" of the quantize function so it'll move them, say, 40% or 75% towards perfection from their initial positions (=your original input), but leave some "human touch" into it. There's also so-called "groove quantization", which means applying groove or swing settings from another pattern into yours - this way you can inject some "artificial humanity" into an otherwise machine-perfect pattern. Don't know how all this works in FL, but the terminology tends to be more or less the same between different DAWs.

//edit: actually, there's obviously a quantization option built into the MPC software, they just call it "time correct".

Last edited:
Back