How to take it to the next level

DarkRed

I am going to try to share some insights into how you can take your work to the next level. Let's see if I succeed.

OK, grabbing a cup of coffee... done.:p

I am sharing this from heart, how I believe it works, no bs.

If you are a home recording engineer I think this advice is going to give you better results, if you are working as a pro I think it can make your music climb the charts and provide you money...

I find that a key ingredient in becoming better at producing high quality music is by delving into how music works at the deeper level. When it comes to music and how to make it really good there is much more than meets the eye, essentially at some point you are facing a situation when you simply have to know about how stuff works at more deep levels. What is music, what impact does it truly have, what is it that makes me feel a certain way about a particular production. What type of music should I be making. There are tons of rather open ended questions that are there.

Usually engineers are thinking about what skills and gear to get in order to make their mixes better sounding. Although this is essential, there are other things at play here that also needs the engineer's attention. Both skills and gear can become rather distracting at times.

Fundamentally, at the deeper level you are given music gifts. It is very important that you do not take stuff for granted, some of the influences on your music life is there just for you. If you take it for granted, you might not "see" it. It was there, it was meant for you, but you did not see it. This is the case with people you meet, gear choices, music influences and much more. One of the first steps to success is in understanding that you are given music gifts meant personally just for you. When you understand that, you stop taking things for granted and this opens your eyes so that you can see. Once you can see you are able to invest.

So lets say for instance that a new album has been released by some artist you like and you are made aware of it somehow. Rather than just doing something else because you are in a hurry, just stop for a while and consider the fact that this album is now available to you, it has been offered to you in your life. Do not take that for granted. Instead, listen through a couple of songs, you don't like them. That far there has not been much impact. But then you listen to say track 6 on the album and it just falls into place for you, you cannot help but love this track really really much because of how right it feels. THERE is your impact. THAT was why it was a gift. THAT is what it is about. THIS has now changed everything. Keep listening to that track, not only a couple of times, but every now and then. At the deeper level it is keeping you on the path you need to be on. If it feels like home follow its path.

It is the same with everything else, from the producers and artists you meet, to the gear you test out and everything else in life for that matter. The combination can move you in the direction you need and give you the results you want.

Last edited:
Back