How To Prevent The 808 Bass From Interfering With A Kick

K.Mcrae

Okay, So On This Beat I'm Making I Have ONE 808 Every 8 Bars And I Have Regular Kicks Throughout The Entire Beat. The Problem I Have Is, When The 808 Hits It Interfere's With The Other Kicks And Somewhat Merge And Sound Nasty (Ex. When You Dont Cut A Bass And You Hit A Key Twice And The Bass Clips) How Do I Make It So That The 808 Can Hit And Doesn't Interfere With The Kicks And Everything With Sound Balanced..

Either you arrange your way around it, or sculpt some sonic space for the 808 to sit in with EQ & filters. Or you can use compressor sidechaining to have the relevant bits duck out of the way when the 808 hits. I'd probably start with automating a hipass filter to shave off the low end from the other bassy stuff when needed.

I would treat the 808 like I would a bassline... sidechain the 808 with the regular kick so that the 808 "ducks" when the regular kick is played. If that fails then eq the sound for space.

depends on the type of music and desired effect you want... if it's hip hop I wouldn't sidechain the 808 cuz that's not the sound you want. If this is hip hop... adjust the volume of the 808 to be 4 to 6 db lower than the kick. 808s usually have a sweetspot of about 40hz-ish, you'll want to bring an eq band up a few db in that area, and then have a little drop off around the 60-90hz range with another eq band. Then eq the kick like this, with your first band pull down a couple db in the 40hz range to emphasize the 808 you just eq'd into that range, then raise your next band where the kick's sweetspot tends to be (60-90hz usually) and a third band can be used with the kick to accentuate the mid range somewhere or roll off on the high end... whatever works for the kick in question. good luck

you cut it or push the envelope back or in lame terms fade the 808 in so when it hits with the kick its dont sub or distort

It sounds better when the 808 interferes with the kick. That isn't a bad sound to me. I like that heavy, dissonant sound. This is why I dig Lil B's music. He has that raw, unfiltered, uncompromisiong 808 sound.

You probably should just leave the drums as is and add some sweet sound effects over it. Throw in some synth melodies and you got a banger! Push the envelope a little.

Back