How to prepare for a recording session (studio etiquette)

ibraheemmusic

Music Producer
Hey Guys,

I am an audio engineer and music producer currently working in a studio in NYC. I work daily with new artists, experienced artists, producers, etc. Majority of the time, people do not know how to properly prepare for a recording session. So I have compiled a quick list so you can both save time, money and confusion.

Unless all the instrumentations are to be recorded in the studio: send two-track/trackout music before hand.

Be on time. Literally, ON time. Don't be 45 minutes early, don't be 30 minutes late. This is a huge issue in a professional environment. When you have sessions rotating throughout the day, there is nothing worse than clients coming in early when a session is going on/wrapping up. And if you run late, understand that the session will end on scheduled end time regardless of what you thought.

Plan to be done 15 minutes before end-time so you can back up your materials. Again, there are sessions throughout the day, and don't try to redo takes over and over again when theres 1 minute left. Also, BRING A HARDDRIVE.

Tell the engineer what you have planned. Lack of communication will end up in confusion and you will waste so much time of the engineer preparing and setting up while time is ticking.

#5.
If you're bringing friends to a studio, let your engineer know how many you're bringing. ALso tell your friends that you are going there to work. This means, they can't watch instagram videos on high volume or have loud conversations while you're tracking. It's a distraction and causes confusion, and will result in less efficiency.

Understand that the recording process is NOT the mixing process. Rough vocals sound rough--it wont magically sound amazing after your take is done.

If you guys wanna add any further points, let me know!

Speak English, not slang as every genre comes w/stereotypes, so make a concerted effort to not be the stereotype.

If you do them, leave the drugs w/your dealer and alcohol away from the studio. If not, a sober mind makes for great artistry.

Last edited:
Back