How much effort/volume is ideal for recording r&b vox?

So in terms of the actual tracking, what is your checklist of sorts to say you've got enough to work with? And if the singer just is not delivering what you want, how do you approach that?

Now that you've mentioned it, I'm curious as to what genre you're in? And are there any specific techniques you've found are helpful to your clients WHILE they are tracking (e.g. volumes in their headset mix, taking out the bass to eliminate psychoacoustic effects, or other)?

Sorry for the late response. I'm not quite used to the notification system here

One thing I do is put the song into record before they are ready, startle them
Get 3 takes, comp the best areas then tell them to beat the comp
Take 5, drink some water
Turn all the lights off around them so they can't see the mic or whats around them. That way they can only concentrate on performing
REDUCE the level in their headphones. Allow them to hear their music at a modest volume and/or keep their monitor level low. Tell them they're too quiet in the mic (ah its such a great lie) --- this rule depends on the performer though.
Pan the music and make a rough mix beforehand. Sometimes its hard trying to get into recording when the songs still sounds like a mono live concert.

I think the biggest one is "Give me one more". You may record for the next 30min just say "Give me one more". Idk, it just gets them cised to record.

I forgot to mention, I grep up from a hip-hop background but I produce a fusion of Hip-Hop, Ambient, Soul, Electronic, and more recently Deep House. Chill, Smooth, Deep stuff is my favorite to work with but I've been mixing OTHER people stuff in all the other genres except Metal. I'm mixing a rap EP and a various genre EP (he moves from acoustic --> EDM)

Sorry for the late response. I'm not quite used to the notification system here

One thing I do is put the song into record before they are ready, startle them
Get 3 takes, comp the best areas then tell them to beat the comp
Take 5, drink some water
Turn all the lights off around them so they can't see the mic or whats around them. That way they can only concentrate on performing
REDUCE the level in their headphones. Allow them to hear their music at a modest volume and/or keep their monitor level low. Tell them they're too quiet in the mic (ah its such a great lie) --- this rule depends on the performer though.
Pan the music and make a rough mix beforehand. Sometimes its hard trying to get into recording when the songs still sounds like a mono live concert.

I think the biggest one is "Give me one more". You may record for the next 30min just say "Give me one more". Idk, it just gets them cised to record.

I grew up from a hip-hop background but I produce a fusion of Hip-Hop, Ambient, Soul, Electronic, and more recently Deep House. Chill, Smooth, Deep stuff is my favorite to work with but I've been mixing OTHER people stuff in all the other genres except Metal. I'm mixing a rap EP and a various genre EP (he moves from acoustic --> EDM)

Haha I can only imagine the grin you have on your face when you're tricking the singers in the ways you've mentioned. Keeps the mood light and energetic though so I like that. Beat the comp is really good way to approach things. My process I think focuses too much on getting a ton of takes and then doing all the comping after. Becomes an impossibly long process. Definitely going to employ the beat the comp technique asap. Turning off the lights is something I do already because I also feel it is more immersive. The headphone mix I never seem to get right though. I've heard turn down the volume, EQ out the base, all these strategies. I guess I just gotta try different strategies for different songs. Panning on the fly I'm a bit iffy about trying because it would change how the singer hears themselves too no? The "One more" syndrome is definitely something I already have in spades so good to know it's not a bad thing even though sometimes I think "this is dragging out for too long" in my head but I can't detach myself from projects easily, no matter what I'm working on or who I'm working with.

Also awesome regarding the genres. I'll definitely look to stay in touch with you since I'm really an R&B, Trap, and Hip-hop guy (smooth delivery style, not aggressive). I like mellow, smooth tunes as well. That said, I'm not super familiar with Deep House music. Love your website though; just peepsed it now. Going to look at it more in depth before I go to bed tonight. Do you have a soundcloud? I did not see one in my brief glance at your website just now. If you got one, I'll hit you with a follow for sure.

The headphone mix I never seem to get right though. I've heard turn down the volume, EQ out the base, all these strategies. I guess I just gotta try different strategies for different songs. Panning on the fly I'm a bit iffy about trying because it would change how the singer hears themselves too no?

Yes it does changes the performers perception but when you carve out a space where the singer/rapper feels like there's room for them it could make a difference. If you have all tracks in the middle there might be an issue for the performer trying to listen to himself battling everything in the middle. Also if you were a performer, would you rather record to something mixed or something raw?? So it definitely does change the outcome but it always depends on the performer. I typically make adjustments to a song after takes while the performer is taking a break until they start getting good takes.

I do have a SoundCloud but I'm working to finish new material and get new stuff up since I removed all my old (Old) material. Everything I do is sharper production, mixing, and rapping wise. My SoundClouds are @courtesyofkalm (personal channel) and @courtesyofthebrew (business channel basically). I'll give you a follow back as well. Always enjoy discussions when it comes to building and networking.

Last edited:
Hit you with the follows on both accounts. I'm about networking as well. Also I see the logic in what you wrote now. I'm going to look to learn more about carving out room for vocals during track rather than only during mixing. I see the value of what you're saying. The actual application is something I have to kind of get a grip on though. What cuts in the instrumental do you typically make to create that space?

Back