How to Mix an MP3

caycay

Was wondering how you go about mixing a beat/ instrumental that's an mp3 and you can't get stems. Are there any tricks or tips? Any help appreciated.

You cant. What exactly are you going to be mixing when you only have 1 file? There is nothing there to mix.

You could turn the master volume up and down for a few hours but that would just be silly.

Last edited:
That's not mixing. If you're processing an already mixed and exported track as a whole that would be mastering. Trust me, if you didn't at least know that you won't be doing any justice to that beat. Add in the fact that it's an MP3, you're better off saving your time.

Well I think it might be a wav file. But the point is that I don't, and can't get stems. It was a beat they downloaded off the internet, and some of the sounds are harsh in the mix. And I have to try and mix it with their vocals....is there anything I can do with the beat's mix?

Multiband compression on the higher frequencies

De-essers can also deal with some harshness

Otherwise I think you should tell this guy he shouldn't have picked a harsh beat

Well I think it might be a wav file. But the point is that I don't, and can't get stems. It was a beat they downloaded off the internet, and some of the sounds are harsh in the mix. And I have to try and mix it with their vocals....is there anything I can do with the beat's mix?
As said above. And something tells me the person who sent you the mp3 isn't the person who own the rights to the song.

Back