How To Mix A Hook Like This

mcpex

Hi, I am looking to record/mix a hook very similar to the way this one sounds....:22-:33 of Wes Walker's 'Pop The Fuck Off' (sorry I can't include the link).
I am wondering how to achieve this crowd sound with only vocals from one person through vocal layering, panning, and stereo imaging. Thanks a lot for the help!

You can try doing multiple takes, warping some down or up a step in pitch... The easiest and best way though really is to track a bunch of people doing it, it'll save you a lot of time mixing and sound better overall. Of course, if you're some sort of voice artist that can imitate other people really well you might be set haha.

Since you're talking about stereo imaging, panning, and layering, it sounds like you already know how to do it. Just make sure you don't invest a ton of time into recreating a sound that can be obtained just by asking a couple people to record vocals for 5 minutes.

That's got to be one of the best beats ever made... seriously though

Thanks for the help! A group of people will definitely be easier. Out of curiosity, in that particular song I mentioned, how did the 2nd half of his hook sound like a crowd rather than just a voice layered multiple times (only one person recorded that song). When I tried to do multiple takes/layering of myself chanting, my hook sounded like one take that just got louder and louder each time, but not "crowd-like." Would this be due to plug ins?

Back