How many of you guys use a spectrum to mix?

Drtro

Being all I have are cheap USB laptop speakers, I rely a lot on spectrum analyzing when mixing my beats. Do you guys ever have one up when mixing? I really like Voxengo SPAN. It's free, and it also has a correlation meter among other cool settings.

I personally don't think a spectrum analyzer by itself would be useful unless you are comparing the spectrum of your track to something else. They can also be good for learning. It's best to rely on your ears (though that may be difficult if your speakers are far from flat).

If it helps, use it. If it's just eye candy, find a better way to use it!

Ears first, visualisations second

in visualisations I include meters, spectrum views, correlation meters, goniometers (phase difference meters), etc

I use it mainly to help me EQ the kick and take out unnecessary resonances in the low end. Definitely a plus when you don't have a good set of reference speakers/headphones and can't hear the low end as clearly.

Yes, I am heavily dependent on good metering, great meters help you boost the frequency learning curve, help you spot and resolve issues. I use for instance the Nugen Audio visualizer 2 in mastering (and also in mixing) to understand the use of the stereo field, it has the feature of visualizing the correlation of the whole frequency range, could not be without it...

Like everyone's saying the spectrum analyzer is just a tool, not a method of mixing. It's certainly helpful when locating frequencies but you can't be dependent on it.

Back