How many times do you listen to a mix before you get to the final

phillmeeh

If I had to count, I would probably be well into the 100's of plays on final mixes before I actually reached a final mix.

I sometimes take 1 month after "finishing" the track just to get the mixing right. this is mostly because I try to listen to it on every sound system I can. It's not wrong to take this time, imo.

You mean how many listens of the supposed final mix? If that's the case, a few. But my room is VERY accurate and I mix over 100 records a year. If I'm listening to a pass that I 'hope' is the final mix, but it turns out it isn't, I typically know after just one listen (or not even all the way through most of the time).

Now if you mean how many listens of the song during the mixing process... sheesh... a ton... but in a mind-numbing few measures at a time for the most part :cry:

A few years back, it took weeks sometimes. Multiple plays from multiple sources.. car, ipod, all that.

By now, I know a lot more and it goes faster. The mixing phase still takes a while - and there I listen many, many times. But once I test on another sound system, it's on or close to what I'm looking for.

A few years back, it took weeks sometimes. Multiple plays from multiple sources.. car, ipod, all that.

By now, I know a lot more and it goes faster. The mixing phase still takes a while - and there I listen many, many times. But once I test on another sound system, it's on or close to what I'm looking for.

OMG it used to take me months to finish one song.and it wasn't even good! now I can literally finish a track over the weekend. but just because I can doesn't mean I should. no. you take as long as you should and piece it together as the ideas start to flow. that's basically how I work now. if the ideas just don't flow or if I'm forcing it I close out the session and go do something else. also, even when you're done you're not done. there's always something you could've done differently. different snare, less bass, fatter hi hat. always something. but as long as it sounds good move on to the next. if music was ever really complete I doubt there would ever be a reason for remixes, dub mixes, mashups, etc. but that's me. great topic man.

OP are you asking how many listens to the final product? Maybe a dozen times or so, but much more (probably in the 100's like you said) of the elements that go into the final product. Just to get it to sound "just right". ;)

Yeah I definitely listen to it hundreds of times before I feel comfortable going final. One thing I struggle with is looking at the beat with fresh eyes after such a long time listening to it. Sometimes I go to peers for advice to solve that

Depends on what I'm doing it for lol. Usually if it's for someone else, or I'm getting paid to do it, then it's usually like 20-30 something times lol. However if It's one of my song I only listen about once.

Back