How to make Huge Sounding Mixes

caycay

I was wondering how I can make my beats sound "huge" "big" and larger then life?...Also, how to make them sound more "open"..

Do people just typically use stereo wideners for this? If so do you put stereo wideners on the master? The snares or kicks? or just the sounds?...

Or are there mixing techniques to make your music sound "huge" and in your face?

Any help appreciated, thanks

90% is EQ and compression. Panning and reverb comes next.

I have found that a lot of the "openness" you are talking about is actually just elimination of clashing/unnecessary frequencies between elements.

Good luck!

I agree with eh above, EQ is important. Giving each instrument or sound it's own frequency "area" will cut the clashing.

For some reason, my mixes tend to be quieter than they should be. Does anybody know how to to make them louder?

It's not so much the mixing, it's just the master track is too quiet after all of the mixing. The volume is still at the max level. My question might be answered somewhere through this thread as well.

I agree with eh above, EQ is important. Giving each instrument or sound it's own frequency "area" will cut the clashing.

For some reason, my mixes tend to be quieter than they should be. Does anybody know how to to make them louder?

It's not so much the mixing, it's just the master track is too quiet after all of the mixing. The volume is still at the max level. My question might be answered somewhere through this thread as well.

Make sure you cut out unneccessary LF's. Even if you don't hear them, kill them.

Do more EQ cuts than boosts (I almost never do boosts). Then, after you cut, you can up the track volume a little more cause you will have more headroom.

Last edited:
Make sure you cut out unneccessary LF's. Even if you don't hear them, kill them.

Do more EQ cuts than boosts (I almost never do boosts). Then, after you cut, you can up the track volume a little more cause you will have more headroom.

I only do cuts, I never raise the EQ levels. but I'll look into cutting the really low frequencies (30 Hertz and below) and raise the master volume a little bit. Thanks.
Is it good to cut the frequencies from 0 hertz - 30 hertz? I know good subbass comes in around 40 hertz.

I only do cuts, I never raise the EQ levels. but I'll look into cutting the really low frequencies (30 Hertz and below) and raise the master volume a little bit. Thanks.
Is it good to cut the frequencies from 0 hertz - 30 hertz? I know good subbass comes in around 40 hertz.

There are only 2 things that should have ANY frequencies below 100Hz : Kick and bass. And of those two, you have to decide what you want to my more prominent in the LF's. A kick can still sound huge with cuts...just lower the release time. This will allow you to have the bass take up more LF's without clashing with the kick.

Overall, I would say it is mostly done by monitoring and limiting the mix using the right gear for the job. There are differences between monitors, limiters and engineers. :) If you for instance dial in an 1176 at a 4:1 compression ratio at medium attack and max release time, you get the sound very up front, it sounds bigger. If you then combine this with stuff like great monitoring and great M/S processing, then at some point your mix is going to start sounding pretty big...

Last edited:
ok, is there any stereo wideners yall use to achieve a wider larger mix? Do you put them on the master? or the individual sounds?

I use Logic. Plugins I use, mostly for hip-hop, are EQ, Compressor with basic gain makeup (sometimes I use the limiter within the compressor), stereo widener, sometimes overdrive, sometimes exciter, sometimes expander, and of course a limiter @ -.01db. Mixing really depends on the type of track. There's no magic bullet as far as I know (Unless you want to pay to have it done professionally). Best solution: WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS!

ok, is there any stereo wideners yall use to achieve a wider larger mix? Do you put them on the master? or the individual sounds?

As I already pointed out it is really about the right monitoring and limiting gear, because with that you will be able to achieve the sharpest resolution for the material as a whole where the mix is in balance at the desired loudness level. That makes it so that the sound sources are detailed enough within the whole stereo field at any playback volume. And when you have that, then you can do additional things to further enhance the richness of the stereo field. Just taking the step of great M/S balancing is in that context going to further improve the richness of the stereo field. And then you can do more advanced things, you can for instance bring the side component of the mix out to great hardware delay in order to enhance the separation between the mid and the side. Because the brain needs some time to process all the richness within the mix and if everything "fights" in time then you'll only going to get the "winning" qualities into the perception. So make room inside the mix for all the juicy details to be well perceived. Balance the attack and release times on comps so that the brain can more easily distinguish the elements in the mix. When you create various qualities of the mix, do it both directly and indirectly. If you for instance boost a little low mids on the side, then also cut a little low mids in the center so that you are not only moving the softness to the side, but so that this softness also is not distracted by softness in the center. This will make that quality more "present". It is when you have a lot of qualities "present", that your mix sounds good.

Last edited:
Disagree with the fact that 90% is EQ and compression. Stereo width is a huge part of achieving a "large sound" which intuitively makes sense. To do this, look into panning, the Haas effect, and stereo wideners like Ableton's utility plug-in and Waves S1. Just like how it was said before where you want every element of the mix to live in a frequency range, you can dial in settings for widening (or narrowing) which makes each element sit in its own stereo space.

Disagree with the fact that 90% is EQ and compression. Stereo width is a huge part of achieving a "large sound" which intuitively makes sense. To do this, look into panning, the Haas effect, and stereo wideners like Ableton's utility plug-in and Waves S1. Just like how it was said before where you want every element of the mix to live in a frequency range, you can dial in settings for widening (or narrowing) which makes each element sit in its own stereo space.

Right panning is important (along with EQ, etc). Is panning essentially what you mean by stereo widening, or is there more to it?

I wouldnt say that only mastering will get you there; you need a good mix, make sure everything sits well. Compression like the others said is also key and can really open things up and make em HUGE when mixing. Crush everything individually then add a touch of compression when mastering for correctional purposes. Thats what i do at least. Also another good tip i learned is to use only ONE reverb throughout the entire track. pretty standard but important!

Right panning is important (along with EQ, etc). Is panning essentially what you mean by stereo widening, or is there more to it?

My practical (and by no means theoretical) understanding is that applying panning and applying stereo widening create two different perceptual effects and are distinct techniques.

Regarding panning: lets say you have a mono sound (collapsing a stereo sound to mono also usually would work in this example) sitting in the middle of the mix. You could pan it left or right, which would obviously result in it sitting predominantly in either the left or right speakers. Instead, lets say you duplicate it and pan one ALL the way right and one ALL the way left. Because you just duplicated a mono sound and panned it equally to both sides, the resulting sound is the same as the original mono sound. However, if you make slight changes to one of the panned elements versus the others (EQ'ing, reverb, chorus, millisecond delay - search up the Haas effect; these applied to one panned sound but NOT the other) the result is a perceived expanded sound. To explain it non-scientifically, you perceive a sound coming from the left and a slightly different one from the right, but taken together it's perceived as one coherent element, and the "expansion" is the result of the slight differences.

Regarding "stereo wideners": while the above technique does create stereo width, there are plug-ins that will "artificially" widen your stereo instruments. For example, lets say you start with a stereo sound (this could be the one you made using the above technique!) Most stereo wideners that I'm familiar with, namely Ableton Utility and Waves S1, allow you to "widen" the sound (push it away from the listener and to the edges), or allow you to "narrow" the sound (push it toward the listener and near the middle). I'm actually not sure whether this is correct but from my experience this is what stereo wideners as plug-ins do.

So what's the difference between achieving stereo width from using the above panning technique versus "artificial" stereo wideners? Don't quote me on this, but the way I think about it is lets say you have a triangle with a line through the middle so below the line the triangle narrows to the tip and above the line is the fatter part of the triangle and it flattens out on the top. At the tip of the triangle sits the listener, and the triangle represents the space of your mix. Using panning allows your sounds to traverse along the line; if the middle of the triangle is mono, then applying panning, namely the above panning technique, will expand your mix along the line . However, using stereo wideners can push your sounds PAST the line in the fatter, deeper part of the triangle (make elements sound behind and farther out behind your mix) or INSIDE the line in the narrow, closer part of the triangle (make elements sound closer and narrower).

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any questions!

(And while it's important for your mix to work in mono, lets be honest, what's really important is how it sounds in stereo because almost nobody is listening to it in mono.)

Last edited:
Back