How Long To Mix A Song/Instrumental

AndreGood

Assuming you mix your own music, How long does it take you to fully mix a song with vocals or just the instrumental itself?

I'm new to mixing myself, but I would say that it takes as long as it needs to. Once you're sure it sounds the way you want it to, you're done. I never keep track of exactly how many hours I've logged working on a particular track, so I couldn't give you an exact number, but on the track I'm currently touching up the mix on (I'm learning a lot as I go along as well) I might have accumulated up to 20 hours on the mix alone.

I've only been mixing for a bit, but I've heard from a lot of people that you shouldn't take a lot of time on mixing. You sorta end up making changes that didn't have to be made in the first place, start second guessing yourself.

I like a good 2-4 hours.

And mix on speakers, not headphones.

An instrumental that's fairly loop based. 1 or 2 hours.
An instrumental that progressive or very complex... depends.
A full length song with vocals. 8 hours. Sometimes more. Occasionally less.

If it's just an instrumental (assuming an urban type genre), maybe an hour and a half to two hours. But this is largely because if it's just an instrumental, the level of detail isn't as high as it would be for a normal record. Instrumentals are mixed because they need to be shopped to artists. Because there's no vocal and because it's not a finished record, there's a lot more leeway in terms of what you do with the mix. If it's an EDM instrumental, or jazz (or just a jazz soloist over an urban bed of music), or rock instrumental, etc., it's going to take longer.

For an actual song, assuming major label type quality (whatever that means LOL), it's a day to a day and a half usually (8 - 12 hours). It's a lot longer for a few reasons. First, you have the vocals. Second, when you add vocals, the music becomes a little more difficult because it's now interacting with something. Third, it's an actual record for salable release so the nit-pickiness on quality goes up quite a lot (even if it's not being released commercially, I still treat it that way). Fourth, you have to run numerous passes (main, instrumental, a cappella, tv track, and possibly a clean version, minimum) and that takes time.

It depends on each track but it shouldn't take more than a couple hours at the top and you should take some breaks in between. Mix the track down completely, then listen to it the next day with a fresh mind too. Then mix it down again a little bit if you feel some things could be fixed.

Back