How to layer in Sylenth1

There's not one set method, but in general you'd want to make sure your layers aren't all really heavy in the same frequency area, eq them individually by cutting out some frequencies you don't need on an individual track basis, and then buss them together and compress. If you're going to put a reverb or something on the track, it's probably going to be best on the buss with only subtle effects on the individual tracks... but of course experiment till it sounds how you want it!

There is so many ways to efficiently layer your sounds and you shouldn't follow a certain line with this. Do whatever seems best with the sounds you've chosen or designed.

Start with a single instrument and make a melody or chord progression and then keep adding layers with other instruments or keep layering the same instrument (root notes, higher notes with the same notes/chords or something else) and just add elements. See listen to what happens. Change things if something isn't good for your ears.

Not all sounds, especially presets can be layered well with the same focused channel, andin this case you will need to make separated plugin channels and maybe change the sound.

But you really need something great to start with, layering just makes it better and wider. Also, if you're looking forward to make great sounding and full mixes, you need to master layering with different sounds etc.

When Im layering an pad, an lead or some synth, this I do often: I found one great main lead. Then I take another lead, blend it and so maybe at least two. One pad I used four diffrent pads into one "sound". Then I bus them out, by using compression, light eq, some distration, imager, reverb and little delay. Sometimes I use an phaser to get the sound. When I feeling the lead, then Im done. But its one method I will use.

Back