How important is mono compatibility nowadays?

Ferdows

Ive always been told: ''everything has to be mono compatible'' ''is has to be in phase''

But sometimes I found pro producers with synths or other instruments in their song that are completely out of phase. But it sounds really good.

How important is mono compatibility nowadays? Everyone is listening on stereo soundsystems (headphones, earbuds etc) and most clubs have stereo soundsystem as well.

I understand that your bass/kick/snare/hi hats etc have to be in mono, because it just sounds better, but a really freaking wide synth can sound really good.

Heres an example of a producer I look up to, hes a producer for drake, has some official remixes of big rappers, so you can say hes a ''pro'', but his synth at the start is completely out of phase. Is this wrong? Or not?

Last edited:
Ive always been told: ''everything has to be mono compatible'' ''is has to be in phase''

But sometimes I found pro producers with synths or other instruments in their song that are completely out of phase. But it sounds really good.

How important is mono compatibility nowadays? Everyone is listening on stereo soundsystems (headphones, earbuds etc) and most clubs have stereo soundsystem as well.

I understand that your bass/kick/snare/hi hats etc have to be in mono, because it just sounds better, but a really freaking wide synth can sound really good.

Heres an example of a producer I look up to, hes a producer for drake, has some official remixes of big rappers, so you can say hes a ''pro'', but his synth at the start is completely out of phase. Is this wrong? Or not?

It is not so much about mono compatibility anymore, because the majority do not listen to music in mono, hence it has to sound good in stereo. Plan how to use the available modulation space, not only statically but also dynamically.

1) You should check your mixes in mono.

2) Mono is still important. "Everything" may be in stereo, but stereo is not always the best presentation. For instance, if you ever plan on having your music played over a live PA/sound system, or by a DJ in a larger venue, or heard in retail stores, mono is the answer.

3) It is good practice.

4) No, your drums and bass do not _have_ to be stereo; in fact maybe they shouldn't. But be aware of their placement and how it effects the entire mix (and vice versa), and if you plan on having vinyl made, then yes, bass drum and bass at least should be panned center for technical reasons.

5) Again with the "modulation space?" When you get on a kick, DR, you get on a kick...

GJ

1) You should check your mixes in mono.

2) Mono is still important. "Everything" may be in stereo, but stereo is not always the best presentation. For instance, if you ever plan on having your music played over a live PA/sound system, or by a DJ in a larger venue, or heard in retail stores, mono is the answer.

3) It is good practice.

4) No, your drums and bass do not _have_ to be stereo; in fact maybe they shouldn't. But be aware of their placement and how it effects the entire mix (and vice versa), and if you plan on having vinyl made, then yes, bass drum and bass at least should be panned center for technical reasons.

5) Again with the "modulation space?" When you get on a kick, DR, you get on a kick...

GJ

Thank you for your answer, so if I plan to release a track only on soundcloud, its not bad to have a synth out of phase if it sounds good?

Just check your mixes in mono. If the synth is so out-of-phase that it disappears, you'll need to tweak it a bit. Today's "wideness" craze can create multiple problems when mixes are summed in mono, so just be aware and be careful.

GJ

Plus - Tv's. I think my TV has only 1 speaker. Yeah about shops: sometimes there's only 1 speaker, or 2 of them placed randomly. Apple mobile devices sound pretty good, but they're mono aren't they.
Not only disappearing is a problem. Things may become "darker" in mono. Brightness lower. While commercial pop music, when I push "mono" button, sound just amazing. Nothing changes, so much clarity.
yes, maybe less important, but what I experienced: one well-known music seller accepted my track, I listened to it half a year after, and Oh My, it wasn't perfect in mono!(a bit darker). They value quality above all else, but do they check in mono I don't know :cool:

Last edited:
Back