How to get rid of that little clicky noise at the end of a sample you've trimmed?

kim&jessie

death to our friends
When you drag something into your DAW (mine at least) and cut it, there's like maybe 10% of the time a little clicking noise at the beginning and end of it bc you've trimmed it. Do you know what I'm talking about? How do you get rid of that? Thx :)

you can automate the volume of the sample to drop to 0 before that happens, ...maybe? Use the mixer and assign the sample into one track. right click on the volume knob and automate it to drop out before that noise can mess with ya.

Last edited:
I don't actually think it's the sample itself because no matter where you cut it it does the noise, I think it's just the DAW (Logic) being screwy unfortunately :/ I did think about that, it's just the sound I'm going for kind of depends on the audio cutting out without fading at all. Thank you tho!

Last edited:
damn thats rough...not sure, i haven't had a problem with that before. Does it happen to every sample or just one in particular?

Thats normal and heard in almost all hardware samplers. Best method is trimming down by intergers of tens or hundreds.

Just remember this:

If there are pops in your chops, then your samples aint tight enough. Trim them down a few digits more :)

Make sure your cutting at a "zero point" this is where, when looking at the waveform, it is at zero. Zoom in until you see exactly where this is in the sample.
Slight fades can also be used to correct this problem.

I found this from the Logic 9 user manual:

[h=2]Using the Pencil Tool to Edit in the Sample Editor[/h]You can use the Pencil tool to correct clicks and pops in your audio, by drawing in the waveform display.
You may find it useful to change the viewing mode of the waveform so that it shows the data structure. For details, see Customizing Waveform Display in the Sample Editor.
To correct pops and clicks with the Pencil

1. Navigate to the desired section of the waveform.
    Tip: Pops and clicks are often the loudest part of an audio file, so you may find the Functions > Search Peak command useful when looking for them.

2. Use the zoom controls to magnify the section of the waveform that you want to correct.
  3. Use the Pointer tool to scrub the audio around the pop or click.
    This will help you to identify exactly where you need to draw.
  4. Select the Pencil tool and drag from left to right (including up or down movements) to draw in a new shape for the waveform spike.
    The edges of drawn sections are automatically smoothed.
    Press Option to affect both sides of stereo waveforms.

Just make a very small Fade Out at the end of your sound... In FL Studio you can use Declick Out. You also have Declick In but don't use that on drumsamples cause it takes away the punch.

I have the same problem sometimes, then i just shift the length back and forth till i find this point where it doesnt click anymore...

Hey! I'm a Logic user as well. After I split something and there are clicks and pops at the very beginning or end I use an extremely tiny 'fade in' and/or 'fade out' to get rid of it as mark1234 suggested. Just select the audio region and make sure the region inspector is open (where you would set a quick quantize) and under the 'more' option you can make quick adjustments to the fades. Hope that helps!

Kindest Regards!

Kaeci

Sorry, I missed it when you said you didn't want anything to fade. I should have noted that you will not notice the fade at all. Just put the 'fade in' or 'fade out' to a value of '2' are something unnoticeable. The only thing you'll notice are the lack of clicks and pops! ;)

Best,

Kaeci

Applying a small couple millisecond fade to the sample at its tail usually solves this. I learnt this through many years of using samples within the Reaper DAW and discovering its awesome auto fade and cross fade feature.

I have no idea how it's sample in Logic but in my DAW (Ableton Live) when I got a sample I need to fade in and fade out a lil bit the sample fo rid click and noise at the begining and the end of the sample. Also, you have to be sure your sample is correctly warp because it can influenced the sound and click etc obviously. I hope my answer is helful,
Peace

Back