How to get my kicks to move crowds?

bwiz

Is there a way to thicken my kick to sound similar to the kick in jayz's dirt of your shoulder.

Oh yea, I use reason 3.0.

DJXodus said:
How to get my kicks to move crowds?

...enormous clown shoes with steel toecaps...that'll move 'em everytime...copping one of those kicks on your shins is not something you want to sample twice!

You can setup a gate with a oscillator, using your kick as the trigger. Experiment with the gate settings and the oscillator freq.
Also, I've heard of people using subharmonic synthesizers to create some great kick sounds.

One

What I sometimes do (in Apple Logic) is set up a synth filter, like Autofilter, on a bus channel and feed the kick into it using the kick channel's effect send. Turn the cutoff way down and adjust the resonance to get the filter going til you get a subby thud thing happening. Turn the level of your bus channel all the way down, then carefully bring it back up until you have added just the right amount of synthesized low end oomph.

I'm not sure how to do it in Reason tho, but feeding a kick signal into a synth filter - such as the filter in Subtractor - must be pretty easy to do in Reason, right? Anyway, the idea is to blend the sound of your original kit with a thick, filtered version of your original kick.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Maxim

i can offer my advice for cool kick sounds, although this is probably not what got the kick sound in dirt off your shoulder. my main technique:

vinyl kick sample + analog filter = cool kick sound

vinyl kick can be replaced with the recording of a live kick drum, with the right mic (some dynamic mics such as the akg d-112e are meant for kick drums)... i usually like to run live kicks thru an analog filter and then an analog compressor (bbe maxcom compressor, includes a "sonic maximizer" which is cool for live drums). for vinyl kicks, i only use an analog filter.

analog filter can be replaced by a good digital filter (izotope trash has good ones)... use a LP filter but dont go too low on the cutoff, maybe add a lil resonance (but not much) to get the treble frequencies to pop out a bit right before the roll-off. with the right filter this adds a subtle sort of shaping that can work well.

often i put a lil eq on the kicks. rarely do i mess with funny fx like reverb or chours on a kick, but sometimes i like a little subtle tape-modelling distortion (many plugins can do this well).

hi-tek has some good kicks... often he samples them from vinyl or live drums, and layers them with 808 kicks... with the right eq combinations, you can get these to fuse really well. another good layering combination is vinyl kick + sample of bass note from analog synth (saw or square, LP-filtered down, fast decay and no sustain on VCA envelope).

cool article which details what El-P and Hi-Tek like to do with their sounds, including drum sounds:
http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_bomb_tracks_hiphop/index.html

Last edited:
Go to the club, listen for that song whose kick moves the crowd, then sample it. After you sample it, filter out all the high frequencies until all you hear is the subs. Then add your own kick on top of that. Never fails

layering is the key. try something like:

channel1 = original kicks

channel2 = the same kicks, but with some light distortion and then highpass-filtered (!) afterwards (around 70Hz). this is exactly what waves Maxxbass is doing. the process will extend the harmonics of your kicks without changing the level or adding to much low-end. they will sound fatter and deeper without any drawbacks.

or try layering different kicks (but take care that the start-phases are both positive and will EXACTLY overlap).

another thing is layering with some high-percussion sounds. but some ms (1-5) before the basskick. this can create a very crisp and assertive basskick.

try around, you have unlimited possibilities.

Last edited:
good lookn out yall all the answers directed to actual drum sounds I will pay attention to.

Holla

Back