how to get my bass to sound fatter

Chris Torio

Whats up everybody i made a bass simalar to the calvin harris bass on how deep is your love but the problem is it doesnt sound fat enough! So how could i be able to eq it to make it sound fatter but not over powering the kick? Heres the link to the song

Watch "Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/EgqUJOudrcM

Research: sidechaining
eq bass and kick so that they have their own space in the freq spectrum(kick below bass or bass below kick)

also fat is way to often misused, if you just make it bassier so its fatter it wont help.
proper mixing is key

Whats up everybody i made a bass simalar to the calvin harris bass on how deep is your love but the problem is it doesnt sound fat enough! So how could i be able to eq it to make it sound fatter but not over powering the kick? Heres the link to the song

You need to make the other sound sources compete less with it, so that the low frequencies are very present without adding too much weight to the mix. You can side chain its attack frequencies a little to the kick, this will enable you to add more bass in the surrounding frequencies but still not causing too much weight. Good luck!

I agree- Absolutely create space for the bass by removing other competing instruments.

1. High pass filter everything except the bass to at least 80 hz, including vocals. You don't need those frequencies there at all.

2. Like someone above me said - side chain compress the bass with the kick. 2-4 db preferably. This allows you to raise the overall level of the bass since it'll compress underneath the kick hits anyway (the kick is the main competing track).

3. Most kick samples have some resonant frequency around 300-450 hz which is right where the bass' attack lies. U can safely cut 6-12 db in many cases. You don't need low-mids from the kick.

4. How's your original bass preset/sound? does it have what you're looking for? if not- change it.

5. The stereo information for the bass, to make it sound fatter/wider and what not, is often added during mastering. But that's just the icing on the cake to an already good mix.

Hope that helped. Cheers!

Last edited:
1. High pass filter everything except the bass to at least 80 hz, including vocals. You don't need those frequencies there at all.
Although I agree with everything else you've written, I don't with this one. In electronic music, the main instrument is the kick, no matter what genre you're producing.
Let's say you are making that sweet roller (dnb). If you cut any kick sample at 80hz, you end up having a thin kick.
Also, don't forget about the sub-bass. cutting it at 80hz and you have nothing at all.
What you need to do is to carefully choose the right samples so they don't fight for the same frequencies and use everything at your disposal, like the sidechain you mentioned, or pan the instruments as well.

I was going to say sausage fattener plugin, instead, i've learned a thing. :P

I think he said cut all the instruments at at least 80 hz.... he was also making point to resonant fequencies at the 300 - 450 hz range... thats like the 'cardboard box' frequencies... he was saying a small 6 - 12 db reduction there will give more room for the bass ( how I understand it ).. You still have all of the bottom end of the kick, and you can give it a little bump about 1.2khz, to give it a bit more crisp... anyway....

Just EQ boost the bass using a shelving filter AND a parametric filter. And limit the output so it doesn't clip. If that doesn't work, use a different bass sound or layer in a sinewave bass. Sidechaining is nonsense that will fade out of popularity since it just makes other instruments sound bad with that pumping weirdness. Sounds were meant to overlap. That's what superposition is.

Back