How to get that clean/phat bass (headroom) in house tracks?

Andy Louz

Hello Community,

i am very upset. I am doing music for 6 years now, but never made it to get that CLEAN/ WIDE/ LOUD bass sound (filling the room), like they have in house tracks.
my steps --> creating melody --> cutting bad frequencies off --> sidechain--> compressing --> in the end, making it mono---> .... what am i doing wrong... i am very mad right now, because i have a lot of tracks i made, but don't want to upload them, because they don't have the right editing...

Does it have something to do with some kind of stereo shaping? or compression?

Need so much help...i am struggling.

Thanks in advance

Andy Louz

Maybe not make it all mono? Just the bottom end needs to be mono or it might give problems... The rest can be stereo just fine... just make sure it's a balanced stereo, don't pan things hard right or left. In a big room that will work out to one part of the crowd hearing one thing, and the other something else. You can play with this though.. make things sweep around the room, bring them forward or pull them back with reverb.

This video explains it pretty well:

you can try limiting the bass instead of compression see if that sounds better. Also I love distortion on bass, just a bit though not too much.

Another technique I sometimes use is splitting the bass sound into two or three frequency ranges, and apply different effects to each. I like to keep the low end in mono while stereo spreading the mid/high.

Generally though when I mix sub bass, (sine waves) I don't do much to them when it comes to processing other than side-chaining and a bit of eq work.

Back