How do you get this much energy in the low ends of a Kick Drum

kayz

reason user
Hi guys
You can hear what I am talking about here:
Mr.Carmack - Pay For What - YouTube
Sun (flower) | mr. carmack

I notice a couple producers such as T-minus, MR carmack, Cardiak use it on their kicks I am not sure if its just an EQ'ing technique. But it sounds like you can feel the bottom of the kick sitting on a table its that palpable. I EQ pretty well and I have tried EQing my kicks to give that effect but to not avail. I am also sure many people achieve this using presets from plugins such as sausage fattener. But do you guys have any idea how to actually do it?
Thanks

I think it's actually a bass note that's playing at the same time as the kick. If you can find or make a nice sub-bass sound and trigger it at the same time as your kick it might help out. Not sure if you've already tried that though.

Yea I have tried doing that. I think the answer is transient designing or shaping. I will have to look more into that.

simple layering of a sub-bass note (simple triangle waveform and not much else on it)

- I would add that I really had to turn my system up to feel/hear that sub-bass so I dread to think what levels you guys are listening at to hear it plainly

What im talking about is more on the kick. Its not a sub-bass. If you pay attention to the kick you can hear a presence in the low end that you don't get just by layering a sub. It sounds almost like a reverb that has been applied just to that low end frequency. (I might have just answered my question)

What im talking about is more on the kick. Its not a sub-bass. If you pay attention to the kick you can hear a presence in the low end that you don't get just by layering a sub. It sounds almost like a reverb that has been applied just to that low end frequency. (I might have just answered my question)

Or maybe a really slow release that emphasizes the really low dynamic volume, like for example the rumble that is hiding on a sample? Try this too :)

on the second track I would agree that there is a very subtle, short reverb (less than 500ms decay time) that is mixed back in to be behind the main part but still hanging on just a fraction

- the first track just seems to be dry...

so it could be a combination of the two ideas

- the sub-octave bass and the short reverb

on the second track I would agree that there is a very subtle, short reverb (less than 500ms decay time) that is mixed back in to be behind the main part but still hanging on just a fraction

- the first track just seems to be dry...

so it could be a combination of the two ideas

- the sub-octave bass and the short reverb

sweettt

It's not uncommon practice to use reverbs like that for bassdrums. Either you do like stated above and simply use a reverb with a very short tail and a pre-delay long enough to not to drown the transient of the kick and the highs cut from the reverb, or you use a reverb with the same settings except a long tail through a gate to confine it to the length of the kick.

Last edited:
Back