How do you get a crisp professional sound for the vocals of a track?

Start with a great mic into a great preamp and you're 90% there. The processing should only be the icing on the cake...

For any more meaningful/specific answers, give us an example of how your stuff sounds now, what you're recording with, where you're recording with, how you're processing it etc.

took a quick listen. if you use a bit less reverb overall, and also push the pre-delay on your reverb send back a bit...that will help.

also the vocals are lacking around 2k and 10k. also, the nt1-a...if i remember correctly has a stupid boost somewhere around 1.2khz that you can sweep away a bit of as well to help.

I also agree that a better preamp is the key i also record with a scarlett 212 and blue spark mic, and i also notice alot of low end in my tracks

I use the same speakers. Great speakers. The vocals sound pretty nice. I agree a little pre-delay could work on the vocals. What type and what are your reverb early reflection levels at? Could possibly try some unorthodox things like boosting reverb EQ levels in the 2-4k range, while adding a splash of distortion and side chaining it with the dry vocals on parts that don't stand out as much (but only use a TINY bit). Seems like the high end in vocals is a little lost so have a play around with your compressors to see if you've over compressed. The NTA-1 has always sounded warm to me. The vocals at 3:58 in 'DXB X Save You' really hit the spot, they sound amazing! With the smooth vocals, you could try pulling down the reverb mix a little as it sounds a bit wet. Tracks sound great as is, these were just a few ideas I had that could possibly enhance your mix.

Listen to my ep and tell how the mixes are <a href="https://soundcloud.com/retrodee/sets/carpe-diem" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://soundcloud.com/retrodee/sets/carpe-diem</a>
i use logic pro 9
i record with a rodes NTA-1 condenser, a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 and KRK rocket 5 speakers

Listened to sweetest taboo. Loved it!

I second (third?) adding some predelay on the reverb.

Correspond the amount of predelay with the timing of the track. Some 7th grade math should get you there.
Also, adding predelay lets you reduce the reverb's decay level by a little bit to clear up even more space so try that out.

I don't necessarily think the reverb level is too much, but be sure to high pass filter & perhaps LPF the reverb as well. Reverb can muddy up a mix super quick if it's not cleared up using eq!

Also, the compression on the snare is fantastic! Loved it! And I think it would sound even better with some high end added after the fact.

The song is awesome, though.
I would love it even more if vocals came through more clear.

Try and clear up space for the vocals by high pass filtering every...single... instrument.

and carving out room for the crucial midrange of the vocal track (like 300hz-2.5 khz).

Great job!!

Last edited:
Man, different mics sound good on different voices. I always hated how the rode made me sound. It almost felt metallic. I preferred an sm57 to that rode.

Last edited:
Back