How do you get an 808 or sub bass to not sound boomy and unprofessional in cars?

julesbmusic

Everytime I make a new EP with my own produced beats and play them in the car the 808 or sub (whichever I decided to use) sounds so overpowering, it rattles and it's boomy. I always make sure when i'm mixing the 808 or sub that i'm putting them in mono (same for kick) and also light distortion and also I make sure nothing in my mix clips. So what could be my problem? Any one else ever had this problem..

Attachments

• Rules Of The Game Ft. Grace VanderWaal (Prod. Jules B).mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
Well, you've got a lot of bass frequencies that are basically inaudible - but take up a lot of headroom. Try cutting out the extreme lows (without changing how it sounds) and see if it helps.

The kick (not the 808 ) is maybe a little loud. Otherwise, the 808 doesn't really sound out of whack. It might just be the car resonating at the frequency of your 808. If you want to find out for sure, just load up a sine wave (like a sub bass) and just play a chromatic scale really slow and mix it down with no EQ, nothing on the 2buss, etc. Just plain vanilla. The play that in the care and see which notes jump out. If for example F# jumps out because of the playback system and acoustics of the car, then you know never to trust your car if you have an F# 808 kick LOL.

The kick (not the 808 ) is maybe a little loud. Otherwise, the 808 doesn't really sound out of whack. It might just be the car resonating at the frequency of your 808. If you want to find out for sure, just load up a sine wave (like a sub bass) and just play a chromatic scale really slow and mix it down with no EQ, nothing on the 2buss, etc. Just plain vanilla. The play that in the care and see which notes jump out. If for example F# jumps out because of the playback system and acoustics of the car, then you know never to trust your car if you have an F# 808 kick LOL.
I don't think it's the car because I played it in multiple cars and the bass/kick sound the same, but when I play like a random popular song on the radio with 808s or sub they don't sound rattly or boomy..

I'd suggest loading up some professional tracks in your DAW and have a look at what's happening in the low end using a spectrum analyser, then compare it to the low end in your tracks.

I'd suggest loading up some professional tracks in your DAW and have a look at what's happening in the low end using a spectrum analyser, then compare it to the low end in your tracks.

Although it should be noted that spectrum analyzers are notoriously inaccurate towards the low end, due to how FFT works. As a rule of thumb, analyzers can supplement your hearing, but they can't replace it.

I think the problem might just be with your leveling and choice of sample, sounds the distortion is where it needs to be at. Personally I wouldn't cut the low end cause that's where the bass is! Instead have a look around for some different 808 samples, and use a reference track to level your 808 and kick :)

Back