Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do you get an 808 or sub bass to not sound boomy and unprofessional in cars?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How do you get an 808 or sub bass to not sound boomy and unprofessional in cars?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Everytime I make a new EP with my own produced beats and play them in the car the 808 or sub (whichever I decided to use) sounds so overpowering, it rattles and it's boomy. I always make sure when i'm mixing the 808 or sub that i'm putting them in mono (same for kick) and also light distortion and also I make sure nothing in my mix clips. So what could be my problem? Any one else ever had this problem..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    helsinki, finland
    Posts
    19,800
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 308 Times in 282 Posts
    Well, you've got a lot of bass frequencies that are basically inaudible - but take up a lot of headroom. Try cutting out the extreme lows (without changing how it sounds) and see if it helps.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

    Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts
    The kick (not the 808 ) is maybe a little loud. Otherwise, the 808 doesn't really sound out of whack. It might just be the car resonating at the frequency of your 808. If you want to find out for sure, just load up a sine wave (like a sub bass) and just play a chromatic scale really slow and mix it down with no EQ, nothing on the 2buss, etc. Just plain vanilla. The play that in the care and see which notes jump out. If for example F# jumps out because of the playback system and acoustics of the car, then you know never to trust your car if you have an F# 808 kick LOL.
    Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter - Hit Producer & Mixer with three #1 hit singles
    http://www.vonpimpenstein.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    alright i'll try that trick

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    The kick (not the 808 ) is maybe a little loud. Otherwise, the 808 doesn't really sound out of whack. It might just be the car resonating at the frequency of your 808. If you want to find out for sure, just load up a sine wave (like a sub bass) and just play a chromatic scale really slow and mix it down with no EQ, nothing on the 2buss, etc. Just plain vanilla. The play that in the care and see which notes jump out. If for example F# jumps out because of the playback system and acoustics of the car, then you know never to trust your car if you have an F# 808 kick LOL.
    I don't think it's the car because I played it in multiple cars and the bass/kick sound the same, but when I play like a random popular song on the radio with 808s or sub they don't sound rattly or boomy..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    Well, you've got a lot of bass frequencies that are basically inaudible - but take up a lot of headroom. Try cutting out the extreme lows (without changing how it sounds) and see if it helps.
    Alright I'll try that trick.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd suggest loading up some professional tracks in your DAW and have a look at what's happening in the low end using a spectrum analyser, then compare it to the low end in your tracks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    helsinki, finland
    Posts
    19,800
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 308 Times in 282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JORDII View Post
    I'd suggest loading up some professional tracks in your DAW and have a look at what's happening in the low end using a spectrum analyser, then compare it to the low end in your tracks.
    Although it should be noted that spectrum analyzers are notoriously inaccurate towards the low end, due to how FFT works. As a rule of thumb, analyzers can supplement your hearing, but they can't replace it.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

    Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •